TN: DRC, Allemand, Jamet, Cotat....

What a great way to spend a leisurely Saturday…call a buddy up, pop open some corks! [drinkers.gif]

• 2012 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (10/23/2016)
    WOW what a nose! Blood iron, crushed raspberry, white pepper…perfumed and expressive…again, silky smooth liqueured fruit here…raspberry,cherry, blackberry…exotics of the iron, smoke, tobacco, olive, herbs de Provence…full bodied, well balanced seamlessness…this wine will produce tons of pleasure for a long long time! (96 pts.)
  • 2012 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (10/23/2016)
    Amazed at how silky and plush this was in the mouth for such a young wine…loaded with liqueured purple/blue berry fruits, with raspberry puree mixed in…seamless and really elegant for Cornas…subtle complexities of smoke, lavender, violets, crushed graphite, cola/white pepper spice…really beautiful florals…lovely mouthfeel…fantastic! (95 pts.)
  • 2009 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (10/23/2016)
    Decanted for a couple hours…might still be slumbering, as it took a lot of coaxing to find greatness, which shouldn’t happen with DRC. Ripe and silky wild berry, cherry fruits…exotic spices, dusty cherry wood, hay, licorice, crushed flowers…pretty tight with structure…saline minerals…still, quite pure and elegant pleasure in the mouth. And just wait till it is open for biz! ++pts (94 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine François Cotat (Paul & François) Sancerre Les Culs de Beaujeu - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (10/23/2016)
    I just LOVE this wine…fourth time in a couple months…the minerality is amazing in this…chalky, salty, sea and limestone funk…bright and zesty citrus fruit…lemon/lime, quince…little tropical mango and pineapple as well. SO energized with fresh squeezed acidity…yet still a creamy full mouthfeel…complexities of lemon grass, white flower/lime blossom florals, white pepper dust. LONG dry puckering lemon and spice finish…fantastic! (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Edson…it’s been a good week! [cheers.gif]

First time I’ve ever had a DRC day two…ALL tomato plant! Not good. Made me wonder…who ever drinks a DRC wine after day one? If so, better or worse?

I am usually way more patient with Jamet due to scarcity/pricing but I’ll crack open a 375ml based on your notes. We should get together some time. There a lot of similarities in our cellars (composition not aesthetics!).

Thanks for sharing.

I’m like the hired help compared to you Swingers! I have always enjoyed Jamet at most any stage, find it more open than more traditional CRs. Now with age, wow do they kill it. The '98 I had this year blew me away.

thank you for your hospitality - it was a great way to celebrate the cubs victory :wink:

I recall drinking 2000 La Tache on day two after it was a black monolith on day one, even with decanter time. That was basically just after release…maybe 2003-2004 time frame. In that instance, it did help the wine. Typically, I do set things up to allow for full consumption of any DRC I’m opening within the event I’m opening it at, so it rarely happens that I give it a chance to get extended air.

Reviewing my notes, I do see that I had a leftover glass of 2000 La Tache in 2012 that did show tomato notes on day two. Oxygen doesn’t discriminate.

Cheers,
fred

So…the lesson of the day…when drinking your DRC by yourself…make sure to finish the whole bottle day one! If not, then share day two with the wife! :stuck_out_tongue:

The price of these syrah’s r blowing me away Alfert

There’s always the Fructas Voluptas as (slightly) less expensive option for younger drinking. Had the '12 not too long ago and it showed well, in a very primary way.