2005 St Em

2005 Chateau Franc Grace Dieu

Purchased from a customer this year for $19

Deep ruby color. Aromas feature plums and violets, with a faint hint of something agreeably green. The palate is medium bodied, nicely round but with good bracing acidity and a surprising abundance of ripe tannins. The flavors are red more than black plum, hints of cherry, a touch of spice, nothing green. This is in a good place, walking the line between firm and lush, with the finish tilting towards opulence, but with enough backbone for an invigorating finish. Rated 89.4, could improve up to a point in another year or two. I have two more, next one penciled in for next fall.

Dan Kravitz

Thanks for the note Dan. I got some of this from Garagiste back in the day for $13/bottle but haven’t opened any yet. Is this a should drink or will it go out 5-10 years?

I would say 5 - 10 years is a no-no. I would try now to gauge your taste for secondary, but doubt I would want to hold it past five years and if you own more than a few I would try it now to see where it is along your personal age spectrum. I would not wait more than a year or two to open one.

Dan Kravitz

I need to start digging into my '05 Bordeaux, methinks…

Thanks Dan. Off site storage. In my case Bay Area. Guess I need to make a trip!