TN: 1999 LaLa, 94 Verset/94 Verget, 04 Pierre Morey Batard....

Nice night tonight with some fantastic wines…AMAZING nose on Guigal LaLa…Legend Verset in off vintage delivers…classic Pierre Morey reduction freshness…brilliant Verget before premox…notes to follow.

• 1994 Verget Meursault 1er Cru Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (10/21/2016)
    Another great bottle of this…the cork came out like it was brand new…youthful yellow, buttered pears, candied apple fruit…slight ox in a good way…fresh lemon, crushed minerals…has the classic Meursault limestone chalk and some smoke…aged hazelnut and honey…little sharp at times on the balance, but pretty damn good complexity considering the vintage. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 1994 Noël Verset Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (10/21/2016)
    This is my third and last bottle from a stash bought long time ago…and by far the best! Cork was in great condition…the wine was seamless, drank feminine like a fine aged Burgundy…med bodied, very earthy, sauvage, leather…intoxicating nose…the fruit was wild berry, dried strawberry/cherry…subtle complexities abound…mint, smoke, game, olive, iron minerality, dried flowers…the wine even darkened and became fuller later on…just fascinating and contemplating wine to drink. A true pleasure! (96 pts.)

• 1999 E. Guigal Côte-Rôtie La Landonne - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (10/21/2016)
    My first LaLa…AMAZING NOSE!! Incredible liqueured berry, smoke, game, floral perfume…rich silky fruit, tons of concentration, yet weightlessness and elegance. Seemed to have a pretty good acid streak in it, which livened and kind of tingled the wine…smooth and silky, deeply complex…licorice, blood iron, campfire bacon, liqueured berries, cassis, sweet herbs…still quite youthful…SO tasty right now, but you can tell it will get even better! Special wine. (98 pts.)

• 2004 Pierre Morey Bâtard-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru (10/21/2016)
    Big and rich wine here…HUGE reduction that didn’t really subside much…nice creamy ripe fruit, full bodied mouthfeel, yet GREAT 04 energy with some tart lemon, green apple skin…very complex…caramel corn, smoke, crushed stones…pretty blossom florals and clove, dried honey spice…I actually like the smoky reduction ala Leflaive…I thought this was outstanding! (95 pts.)

Notes added

yum. save me some of your mags of verset k?

If I remember right, you and I bought those '94 Versets from the same winebid lot way back when. $25. :slight_smile:

Yes yes!!! In 1999…were they really $25!!! Wow! :astonished: I remember you bought many vintages! Still have any left? :wink:

I usually hate numbers, but you make numbers fun. Another great note and pictures!

Awesome night man. I really preferred the verset overall, but that la landonne is going to be special.

Had a '96 Verget 1er Rougeots last night, and it was damn tasty. Like yours, just a slight hint of ox.

Another bottle of the 04 Pierre Morey Batard…completely OXED! :frowning: Can’t believe it’s the same wine?

Buzz, if wine is reduced stir it with a copper stick.