Do you still use your coravin?

• I bought/own a coravin and still use regularly
  • I bought/own a coravin and occasionally use
  • I bought/own a coravin and seldom if even use anymore
  • I never bought a coravin
  • I bought a pungo- screw coravin
  • Brett Favre

0 voters

Just curious as it seems this topic has died down- I don’t see all restaurant wine lists scrambling to provide coravin pours anymore, etc.

Third choice from top should say “ever” not even.

I’ll be interested in the results. Never bought one, but have considered it.

Never bought one. Zero appeal to me.

Bought one, used it a few times but just never really got in the habit. Been meaning to throw it up on commerce corner

I never understood this concept of only drinking 1 glass to begin with.

So I put the whole scheme under a global boycott.

Use mine fairly regularly. Typically when I open a 7-10+ year old bottle that I don’t intend to finish in one night.

Young wines I just recork into a 375 as they are generally fine 24 hours later. That method doesn’t work as well with my aged wines, that’s where the Coravin has value to me.

The most I’ve seen them used is by distributors. For some nicer or more limited wines there may only be 1-2 bottles budgeted for sampling and several markets to tasted them in, sometimes days apart. It’s actually improved the # and quality of wines many reps have been bringing us. Most consumers have seemed to ave gotten over the initial ‘magic’ of sampling glass by glass and are happy popping the cork and enjoying the whole bottle.

I use my coravin all the time and absolutely love it. Total game changer for me in that my wife and I can drink a few different glasses of wine each night as opposed to commiting to opening a bottle or two and then worrying about one going bad if we don’t finish it.

I seriously can’t recommend it enough.

Did you ever had any problems with spoiled bottles after using it?

I’d rather just drink the whole bottle.

Rarely. Maybe 1 out of every 20 I might notice some slight decline after I’ve stabbed the bottle a few times, but that’s typically with older bottles where the cork is potentially questionable.

We used it the first day we got it and kind of forgot about it but we used it a few times this week and will probably continue to do so since sometimes I just want one glass, or Lauren and I each want something different and don’t want to drink two whole bottles

All the time. Mostly for blind flights. We’ll get 4 kenefick cabs from different producers and do a random flight on a wed night. We’ll do a syrah flight another night. It’s fun to know what you actually like.

Huh, just replied but it didn’t take.

As a professional, I find it a great tool. My people use it to sample up to a dozen customers over a few days on a wine too rare or expensive to otherwise use as samples.

As a consumer, I use it infrequently. Right now I’m the only person in the house that is drinking any wine, so I’m motivated. I use it only on fairly old, delicate bottles that I don’t trust overnight in the fridge (most recently, a mid-range 2000 Barolo… a lovely but delicate vintage).

For consumers, I would only recommend it for hard core geeks who like wines with significant bottle age. For professionals, it’s a great tool.

Dan Kravitz

Own a few. We use them regularly for sale calls and I am a big fan. We’ve done blind tastings with our wines (just opened vs. wines Coravined for about a month) - no noticeable difference. We also use a Coravin in our tasting room for some wines. Have no experience with wines preserved for months but for short-term preservation it works well.

“Kenefick”?

Use it often, but seems like I have more and more of a tendency to finish the bottle or pour it out these days.

Originally we contacted Coravin to use and sell them at our bar/store. They sent us a contract that required us to have menus that prominently display the Coravin logo and state we use the Coravin for by the glass pours. We decided we wouldn’t be a Coravin retailer. We used to get calls asking if we sold the Coravin and cartridges. Not so much anymore.

We bought a Coravin and a dozen cartridges to use for our glass pours anyway and it didn’t come with a bottle glove. It works well for the amount of wine we pour by the glass, but over the course of six months, the cost of proprietary cartridges was actually higher than the spoilage in the previous six months.

My only complaint is the cost of the cartridges. We can’t use non-proprietary cartridges per the Health Department and they are deciding if they can be used at all without a cleaning protocol after each use.

Still in use here and there. I love the concept, which is much more elegant than spraying a random volume of argon in an open bottle while counting. I switched to generic cartridges, which work fine and serve as many glasses as the name-brand units. If the cork is older or drier, I just pull it these days - too much hit and miss where the cork didn’t quite re-seal itself. I’m getting over tree bark, in general, as a closure and drinking more wine under screw cap. It’s nice to not have to play Russian-cork roulette every time I open a bottle and wonder if it’s premoxed, TCA’d, or both.