TN: 1971 Fratelli Serio and Battista Borgogno Barolo Cannubi

• 1971 Fratelli Serio and Battista Borgogno Barolo Cannubi - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (9/27/2016)
    Quite masculine, meaty and surly to begin with, smelling of salami, chestnut, tar, truffle and blood. In the mouth it is very savoury with a graphite spine and all sorts of ferrous flavours. It really sweetens up and has excellent depth and plenty of chew from the abundant tannins. The finish is dry and long.

Posted from CellarTracker

I don’t know this Borgogno. From what I gather, it’s not related to Giacomo Borgogno (at least not closely related). Where is the cantina? In Barolo itself?

I have no idea John.

They have a big sign on the Cannubi hill itself, and although I never visited, their website says the cantina is right there.
I had a 1978 about a year ago, which while drinkable and even good, was definitely past its prime.

The winery is in the center of the Cannubi hill. The building is attached to the restaurant Locanda in Cannubi, but I don’t know that there is any business connection. A couple of friends raved about this restaurant this summer.