Forget two buck Chuck, splurge on twelve buck Barolo

2010 Franco Molino Barolo Cascina Rocca

Transparent medium crimson color. Lovely aromas feature red cherries, floral notes (yes, roses) and a touch of cilantro. No tar. The palate is light to medium in body, surprisingly tender, with good moderate intensity of very pure red fruit accompanied by hints of spices. This is very harmonious. No, it is not a Barolo of gripping intensity, but it is lovely and true to the Appellation. Rated 90.1, ready to drink now and over the next few years. This was reduced from $24 at a Mariano’s in Chicago, I don’t know why but can only say ‘thank you’.

Dan Kravitz

No rating on CellarTracker. No listing on WineSearcher.

[cry.gif]

2010 Barolo for $12?

I don’t think I would care what the CT score was to pick up 3, even if I have never heard of it before…

That must mean it doesn’t exist?

So what?

Which is precisely how you end up with a 500 bottle cellar of which 1/3 of you don’t like. No thanks. Been there, done that with inexpensive Cab and don’t plan to do it again. I’d rather spend that $36 on one bottle of Riesling that I know my wife and I like than gamble on 3 bottles of Italian wine, especially since there aren’t many Italian wines we like to begin with.

Your statement might as well be true, unless you want to come to the Philly / MJ Metro area and drive / call around finding it for me on sale. Are you game?

…yeah, didn’t think so. neener

So what? So let’s dance!

R8G-NHFELaw

Any clue which Mariano’s you were at, Dan?

With the exception of this stiff, which I purchased 6 bottles of, the board has a pretty good batting average. Gewüztraminer Andreas Vineyard 2015, Biggio-Hamina - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers I’ve gifted 3 of the 6 bottles to non-geeks at various gatherings I’ve attended.

Looks like Mariano’s stores are selling small amounts of differing stock at 50% off. I managed to grab a bottle of 2009 Pio Cesare Barolo today for half off. I asked the wine person if they had more–sadly, last bottle. Very interested to try it.

Which is precisely how you end up with a 500 bottle cellar of which 1/3 of you don’t like. No thanks. Been there, done that with inexpensive Cab and don’t plan to do it again. I’d rather spend that $36 on one bottle of Riesling that I know my wife and I like than gamble on 3 bottles of Italian wine, especially since there aren’t many Italian wines we like to begin with.

Dennis and Keller sitting in a tree… flirtysmile

[rofl.gif]

Well, the real Riesling lovefest is with JJ Prüm which we have at least 9 cases of… but you are correct that Keller has been the latest fling in this house. And what a harlot Keller has been! We were just fine with Prüm, Shafer-Froelich, Heinz Eifel as our basic house white, and the occasional late harvest Arrowood until Keller came along with a smoking hot Limestone line.