2007 Virage - brief TN

A great find in my cellar, as I originally reported it ‘missing’ in July last year - WOOT! Fantastic, simply - it’s still fairly grippy with tannins and acid, but the odd thing is that it TASTES weighty, if that makes sense. It’s not a mouthfeel thing, it tastes as if it as a richness to it that you don’t get with the mouthfeel because it’s still youthful in character, so that’s an interesting and enjoyable combination for me. Nose is very clean and fresh, perfumed, dark-fruited, floral, reminds me of clean laundry but not artificial.

Fantastic stuff - hopefully Virage makes a repeat appearance on BerserkerDay 2017

Can’t agree more on the '07 Virage. It was so good I purchased a case. I think I ran through four of the bottles so far. [cheers.gif]

I had one of these recently with a rib-eye roast with an espresso crust, and it was a fantastic pairing.

The wine was very clean (smooth) as you note with tongue-tickling tannins. Notes of cranberries gave way to crushed blackberries, and the finish turned plummy, in a good way.

The 2007 is a great wine, but do not neglect Emily’s more recent releases as they are not to be missed. These wines are nice at any price point, and are a screaming value.

What is Virage, for the uninitiated? Grape? California, I assume?

Napa Valley - the 2007 is 71% Cabernet Franc, 24% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon. Beau Terrior and Hyde vineyards in Carneros. 14.4% alcohol

Harvested 10/2007, released 10/2010 - 100% French Oak, 40% new.

Thanks.

Was that their first vintage?

2007 first vintage, and still a few left. Great description by Todd. The whole idea is weight/character/complexity without big alcohol–soils and a cool climate is what accomplishes that. 2008 about to go out on a Vivino deal… just FYI. 2012 is current release. So happy our fearless leader Todd French loved the wine!!! Since I was super pushy talking him into buying a ‘vertical’ on BDay :slight_smile: