TN: Visit to Domaine Christophe Pichon

VISIT TO DOMAINE CHRISTOPHE PICHON - Domaine Christophe Pichon, Verlieu (8/6/2016)

Arranged by Voix de La Terre Wine Buying Consortium of which I am a charter member. Hosted by Corentin Pichon, 23 year old son of Christophe. Toured tasting room, wine making facilities and cellar. 2015 vintage has big, stellar fruit. The Reds are noticeably superior to 2014 (despite more normal preference for leaner, subtler fruit) because they have sufficient acidity and great balance. Tasted 3 new wines - Cornas and two IGP’s from Seyssuel across the River.

Tasted from bottle
Very generous of Corentin to open a bottle of the 2014 Côte Rotie Rôtie Blond for us after tasting the 2015 from barrel.

Tasted from Tank

• 2015 Christophe Pichon Condrieu Caresse - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu
    just moved to tank and seems awkward as a result. Seems bigger and lusher than the 14. It will be bottled in 2 weeks.
  • 2015 Christophe Pichon St. Joseph Blanc - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
    from tank. 100% Marsanne. Rich, sweet fruit. Nice balance. Avoids the muskiness I dislike in many from this variety.
  • 2015 Domaine Christophe Pichon St. Joseph - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph
    From tank bottled to be bottled in 2 weeks. Great fruit and not overly tannic. Very nice and approachable but can age.

Tasted from Barrel.

Posted from CellarTracker

I used to buy his Condrieu in Ampuis each year. Could never find it in the states but sure wish I could. He made a Moelleux Condrieu that was really interesting but never saw it after maybe '99. Thx for the notes.

John

Your wish can be granted. Just received confirmation of a very good source. PM sent.