Wine List Help - Agern, NYC

I’m dining solo at Agern tonight and confess to being lost with the wine list – it’s completely out of my comfort zone. I recognize a few producers, but there’s nothing I know well enough to choose, and I don’t have the knowledge to spot the values or gems short of looking them up individually.

I would like either 1 bottle of sparkling or white, or 3-4 glasses with only 1 at most being red. My palate is decidedly Old World, with affinity for medium to high acid, food friendly, balanced wines.

I can ask the sommelier for guidance, of course, but thought to inquire here as well in case something jumps out at those more in-the-know than I am.

Thanks in advance!

$180 for half a pint of Mead?

Sorry I know this isn’t helpful but that struck me as… Unusual.

Hear the somme is terrific there, enjoy and report back. Have only heard amazing things.

FWIW if it’s warm still that Forlorn Hope Verdelho is delicious. The 12 Hanzell has been great CA Chardonnay since the day it was delivered.

Wow. Never been. I know less than half of those wines - lots I’ve never heard of. That’s a plus in itself!

Maybe not helpful but in a place like that, I’d go for the unusual or rare. Like they have bubbles from Denmark - I’d probably give that a try. They seem to love Macari but I’d probably pass and you can get LI wines anyway. However I would give the Sheldrake Gamay a look. The Failla Hirsch is actually pretty good PN. The Left Foot Charly Kerner is interesting but if I remember from only tasting it once, it’s got a little RS. Then there’s the Pinot Gris “sur lie” from Oregon that I’d probably be curious about. For Carignan, I’d try the Liocco just because of some of their other wines - I’ve had and don’t like the other choices. I’d try the Jorgensen Cab Franc from Oregon too - he has an ambitious name there - Loiregon? The others aren’t all that great.

And I’d probably pass on the Cabs entirely - too many other interesting things.

Other than the Failla, none of those suggestions are from tasting. The Palmina Nebbiolo is credible, but it’s available elsewhere and some of those others are really unique. If it were me, I’d pass on just about every pop grape like Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Cabernet, Merlot, and go with some of the more intriguing. And unfortunately, that lonely Tempranillo isn’t great.

Best part is this though:

“Agern’s prices are fully inclusive of service, and we kindly decline additional tips.”

Kudos for that.

Let us know what you end up with! [cheers.gif]

Thanks Greg. That’s helpful, though a few of the reds you mention are by the bottle only and that won’t work for the menu. Will read up on the others and whites. Much obliged!

you know chad?

I know a Chad or two, but probably not the one you mean.

chad walsh. good guy. is the somm there. i’d just ask him to guide you. one of the few guys that i’d trust.

Lots of edgy stuff there. I wonder if they get a lot of returned bottles…
Seems like a good opportunity to try one of the Teutonic wines. Or Dirty & Rowdy semillon if you haven’t had it.

wow! what a fun list!

For a sparkling bottle, if you’ve never had the Ultramarine Rose – that might be a fun one (leans more toward your acid preference … and Michael Cruse is no longer making the rose anymore, so a nice chance to try something that won’t be around again … price seems a bit steep though.

For a red by the glass, I’d be all over the Wind gap Soif (it’s a lighter red, Beaujolais-like, if I’m recalling correctly)

But I think I’d definitely ask to speak with the Somm, if anything for just the chance to have a geeky wine conversation! Enjoy!!! (and come back and let us know how it went!)

Thanks all. Good to have a personal vote of confidence in Chad (not to mention a name). Even letting him guide me, though, it’s nice to have a few ideas to keep in mind, to ask about or as basis for discussion.

I’ll second the recommendation of the Forlorn Hope Verdelho, and the Ryme Fiano would be another good choice.

Here is my note on the 2014 Verfelho (a different vintage from the one on the list, but they 2013 isn’t that dissimilar if my memory serves me correctly:

An incredibly hard wine to put down, with bright tropical fruit, honeydew, and floral notes coupled with surprising mouth-coating weight and fresh acidity, sort of like a viognier without the oiliness. A great pairing with lobster crudo with passion fruit and avocado.

Well, for bubbles the Hearts and hands should be good and for whites the Boundary Breaks rieslings are great. But damn those are high by-the-glass prices. Also holy crap the mark up on the ravines bottle!! $60 on a $13 retail wine!! Evan accounting for $20% tip being included, that is a huge mark-up.

Bow & Arrow makes some great stuff. Try their Melon.

I also really liked the 2014 Walter Scott Chardonnays.

that is quite the list. Some super interesting small production wines there. The Ultramarine from Heintz is a wonderful bottle of wine (and pretty rare) and the Los Pilares pet-nat is funky and delicious in a quirky way. The Tribute to Grace rosè also super delicious. The Hanzell makes lovely, pretty old world styled chards in my opinion. Not sure there is much Old World in the pinot section per se, but the Dirty and Rowdy Mourvedre is a fun wine and the Idlewild Dolcetto is delicious as well (full disclosure = we get some fruit from there). The Arnot Roberts Syrah is drinking great and has great balance and on this list offers good value. I bet you would like them.

I hear great things about Hearts and Hands, but $24 for a glass of bubbly from NYS?

A whole bottle of Ravines Riesling for $60 sounds like a better deal.

I’d be real tempted to ask, “You got any regular wine?” It almost seems like it’s exotic at all costs.

exotic to be exotic allows for higher markups.

Agree that there is some odd pricing. The Thibault-Janisson is 4X retail but the Tyler Sanford and Benedict Chard is 2.5X retail. Retail being east coast retail so maybe not applicable. BTW, the Thibault-Janisson is a nice enough wine at $24 but don’t not worth the markup.

Again, not looking for any reds by the bottle - I’m solo and the meal will mostly want white - but I’ll make a note to look for those in the future.

Dining alone, important to get something that won’t tire the palate, if buying a bottle. Many of these wines, while interesting, would wear me down over a solo dinner. With that in mind, the Cruse Valdiguie Pet Nat is versatile, interesting, and tasty. I second the Ryme Fiano. The Mathiasson Ribolla Gialla is a AFWE “new classic.” I could drink any of those through an entire dinner. If you have an interest in Nebbiolo, try a glass of the Palmina. One of the California’s best versions and a leader in recent efforts to work with that variety.