Unpredictable vino

Which type of wine seems to be the most unpredictable in the future? For example, based on history, either a lowly ranked producer, varietal, or year which absolutely rocked it, or a highly lauded one which fell flat on its face? What about expectations for finding an unexpected gem - would it be a 20-30 yr old bordeaux, Burgundy, Barolo/Barbaresco, Sangiovese/IGT, Sauterne, Port, Napa cab, Reisling?

I’m just curious as I wonder how right these RP and JS types are about 100 pt wines which are tasted and rated now but really should be drunk 20 years in the future… and as important, which ones they miss!
[cheers.gif]

For me it’s Burgundy. I have had great producers fall very short, only to have the same wine phenomenal a few years later. I never know what I am in for from bottle to bottle.

At it’s best though, worth the risks in my opinion.

Regards,
Andy Kei!!or

See Asimov/Cornelissan thread

Thanks, Richard - not sure how I missed that thread… Personally, I’ve never had a Cornelissen wine - seems like a case of a wine which is designed to potentially NOT last. The thread did bring up the Musar wines, of which I have had about three - they were very unique but yet I enjoyed them quite a bit.

For the subject of this thread, I was thinking more along the line that there might be a reputation of a wine where it may be a 2nd growth, a village wine, or a DOC and 20 years down the road it was awesome. Or…visa versa, where a wine from a first growth, grand cru, or Napa cult was highly touted and it did not hold up to the praise thrown at it during release. (I guess this second case could be similar to the Cornelissen case…)