TNs: 84 Ridge CS Jimsomare and 05 Alliet Chinon l'Huisserie

• 1984 Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon Jimsomare - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (8/29/2016)
    Found this in a retail shop in Oregon and went for it. Popped and poured. Garnet with lightening at the edges. After 30 minutes the nose was fully open, expressing cassis, red currant, stone, mountain flowers, and a hint of cedar. Remarkably fresh and insistent on the palate with gobs of sweet, pure red currant fruit laced with plum and austere schist notes - the combination on the tongue was fantastic. Still bright with acidity, balancing moderated tannin. Long, lovely finish yielding waves of red fruit, stone, and exquisite grip at the end. A real treasure, tasted in what seems to be its prime. (93 pts.)
  • 2005 Philippe Alliet Chinon l’Huisserie - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Chinon (8/29/2016)
    Darker garnet, approaching purple in color. Full, enticing nose of blackberry, licorice, earthy tones, plum, and floral notes. Lots of black currant, blackberry, and cassis on the palate with enough green leaf to confirm cabernet franc but wonderfully integrated and balanced. Nicely acidic and energetic with smoothed tannin, leading to longer finish of buoyant dark berry fruit, a bit of green pepper, tobacco, and grip. Delicious in its adolescence, this wine has character and energy in spades. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice notes, Doug.
Two wines that sound right up my alley.
I don’t drink enough older Ridge, quite often a wow when I do.
Cheers.

Great notes; really love what you’re drinking. [cheers.gif]

The 1980’s and early 1990’s will be remembered as the Golden Age of California wine.
The heck with cult wines…!

I had the 2007 Alliett l’Huisserie at Racine’s a couple months ago. The Somm recommended it over some other more mature Chinons that I love, like Baudry. He was right, it was excellent.

Dennis, Tim, Victor, Robert,

Thanks for your replies. I am usually a pinot guy but when I got the word that family dinner was going to be meatloaf (Ina Garten recipe but still meatloaf), I thought why not. These two wines were both firing on all cylinders and I am now increasingly a fan of Loire reds and mature older Californians.

Cheers,
Doug

Great wine.

Howard,

Indeed it is. Doubt I will have access to more of this so sampling it was a truly unique opportunity.

Cheers,
Doug

Good note on the Alliet l’Hussierie. I like this producer’s stable of wines - pure cab franc without being overly earthy and herby, well delineated fruit characteristic and a slight Bordeauxish touch.

I have limited experience with this estate but did find the 2007 quite savory.

Older, mature, but beautiful California reds are the real version of cougar juice.

The ones I’ve had were savory, too.