TN: Burgundy dinner with the Heys

Providence rocked last night as we met Jerry and Cindy for dinner, bottles in tote. First time there for us, multiple Hey visits–super restaurant that cares about its food, we will return.

First up was 2004 Ramonet Batard Montrachet, had all the characteristic minty Ramonet signature, citrus zest, very focused nose and palate, though fanning out on the finish. Couple hours later, from Jerry’s glass, the wine just exploded.

1988 Gagnard Batard Montrachet was in fine form, able to keep up with the pre-teen. Thicker and a bit oily, the wine had great density and lift, a bit old school, but classy fruit, a long finish.

1993 Jean Gros Richebourg was last, but may have finished first. Bottle had very little ullage, a fair amount of sediment. Red and dark-fruited, iron and some mineral, the fruit was layered, complex, ever-changing and improving. Very classy drink, almost a little RSV classiness to the wine.

01 DRC RSV, 88 Leroy Richebourg, and 95 Rousseau Chambertin didn’t get opened–next time. Great night with Cindy and Jerry!

Providence has really stepped up its game since we went the first time several years ago. There were five or six very flavorful amuse bouches before the meal even started. All the dishes had their own flavor and texture to them and continued through the meal to the very end. Service for both the food and wine was excellent.

Now to the wines, which showed so well. The Ramonet had a green tinged color to it in the glass but that had nothing to do with the 04 green meanies. The usual Ramonet mint with great depth, and as usual, I keep a bit in the glass to see how the whites improve over the course of dinner and this one jumped from the glass after three hours. I guess it could have even used a decant. The 88 Gagnard, which I bought on release, was the last of a case of this wine. Over the years this has always shown the tightness of the 88 vintage but this was opened up with some honey/caramel/butterscotch notes showing its 28 years of age. After an hour or so it tightened up a bit with plenty of acidity, but at the end it was fading a bit compared to its younger sibling, the Ramonet. But that is what an aged burgundy should be. Then the 93 Jean Gros was opened, exploding in the glass right from the first pour with the dark, cool, plummy fruits of the 93 vintage. Still probably not fully mature, but a pleasure to drink with the tannins in perfect check and the fruit still at the front. A perfect compliment to the duck for the main course.

The other wines didn’t make the cut this time but will be on the block for our next dinner. Thanks for another great night with the Weinbergs.

ummm…why??

Really nice selection of wines and what sounds like great company.

They didn’t want to get scolded.

[rofl.gif]

champagne.gif

Alan is saving them for me. Right Alan? Right?

It’s me, Chris, Chris Seiber, we met that one time …

we have tiny livers and the wives weren’t even keeping pace.

by our berserker wives/overseers on this site, I assume.

Gotta just work it out more. :wink:

Great notes as always. When those ramonet aren’t premox they are so so on.

Better your Berserker wife than mine!

We also had a stunning 04 Ramonet BBM recently.

Love how the 93s are drinking now, even the village wines…except for a night at Providence with 3 dud DRCs :frowning:

I am so impressed that Alan’s and Jerry’s wife’s don’t complain about bring 3 bottles each to dinner for 4. Must be the conversation…

Dave - it was four bottles each. I had a 2002 Boillot Corton Charlemagne also, and Alan had the 2000 Taittinger Comtes. But we knew it was only three bottles at most for the dinner.

Nice line-up fellas. Don’t drink all of your wine before I get there!

don’t worry–we want to make the cover of Repast!

Warming up are you gentlemen? A two entree night for Alan? Sounds really good. The Ramonet has me licking my chops.

Nice restraint guys! Jerry, I recently had the 2002 Boillot CC. If you have a good bottle it really rocks.

Sounds like a great evening. Thanks for the wonderful notes.