TN: Two Fourriers with JC

TWO FOURRIERS WITH JC

• 2002 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos St. Jacques Vieille Vigne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
    Mike served this wine blind. A lovely bouquet of dark berries, black cherries, violets and some Vosne spice rack. A classy wine on palate, it was hard to pick the Village because it showed Vosne-type spices, Gevrey minerality and Chambolle dark cherry. A complex, detailed Côte de Nuits. Earthy but not feral or barnyardy. Pure and clean. I did pick the vintage as 2002, as it seemed to be showing the lovely ripe fruit and concentration you would expect from the vintage. Excellent. No hurry to drink this CSJ.
  • 2003 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Combes aux Moines Vieille Vigne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru
    I served this 2003 blind as I was interested as to whether people picked up stewed fruit overripeness or went to 2003 as the vintage. No one did. People picked vintages from 1999 to 2010 (the latter I could understand as the wine was drinking quite young and unevolved). Black cherries, Gevrey black fruit, black spices on the nose, with a top note of violets. Black cherries and black plums in the mouth, with some iron, iodine and dark earth. Drinking quite primary, for a 13 year old wine. No signs of roasted fruit on the palate. Lower acidity however. Perhaps not a great Fourrier CAM, years ahead of this wine though … I know that Jean-Marie went to great trouble with his 2003s to preserve some freshness, for example hiring a refrigerated truck for taking his crates directly from the vines (while other producers’ grapes were fermenting right there in their crates beside the vines, such was the extreme heat).

Posted from CellarTracker

Fourriers with JC? What would Jesus score?

I opened a 2002 Combe aux Moines last week and it was sadly flawed. A bit corked on top of stewy fruit. Very odd, very un-Fourrier.

I would reckon Howard is referring to Jean Christophe Poizat of Maison Vauron in Auckland. New Zealand often referred to as “Godzone” as in God’s own country but sadly we don’t get to drink with with Jesus!

Jesus would make superior wine from water no doubt (or champagne from Badoit?), depending on whether Trump let’s him through the wall of course.

Great notes Howard, the CSJ was really lovely. And as you say, the '03 was far from a “poster child” for the negative connotations sometimes associated with that vintage.