TN: 2013 Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Proprietary Cuvée (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2013 Sojourn Cabernet Sauvignon Proprietary Cuvée - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/28/2016)
    Dark and opaque with purple/red tinged edges. Nose of sort black currants with a creamy note as well as some cool blue fruits. Palate shows a very refined and soft flowing black/blue fruit profile that is beguiling. Blackberries, boysenberries and cardamom. Deft balance on this with purity and elegance that really grabs your attention. Its all about the mouth-feel on this. This is all cool fruits with maybe just a hint of menthol. Not a rough edge in sight, this goes long and remains pure and true. I love this. On another note: I am not sure I ever used beguiling in a note, so there’s that and NO, I wont take it back. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Love the note, Mike. I’ve liked all the Sojourn cabs I’ve had, but stopped buying from them in order to make room for a few non-cab producers in my mailing list rotation. Notes like yours make me wonder if that was really a good call.

Thanks for posting.

I popped the '10 and the '12. Notes on CT. We purchased the '12 at the tasting room. My wife, who every once in a while says ‘Oh, that’s good’ gave me the green light to buy this. It was only later in the day she asked the cost. [whistle.gif]

That was a great note!

I am still working out my long term opinion of this label’s wines.

I think they are generally very well constructed!

Common problem. Rebecca and I were at Zachy’s about 10 years ago and they were pouring all the 2001 Aldo Conterno Barlos. She said “these are good, let’s buy a case of each.” Stupid me then showed her the price list.
[head-bang.gif]

Thanks for the note, Mike.

I had the 2010, which I believe came free as part of my Berserker Day purchase. I was underwhelmed, and from CT scores it appears I wasn’t alone. Maybe why it was free! Interesting to see the more recent vintages seem to be getting better reviews.

While I have the '10 and '12 in my cellar, I do not remember ever having the Proprietary Cuvee before. I had the '13 early this month in the tasting room. I found this to be very different than the Oakville. It was much bigger with a much fuller mouthful. I liked the Oakville better on that day but think the Proprietary may have more upside.