TN: 2011 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur-Champigny

2011 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Saumur-Champigny - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Saumur-Champigny (8/26/2016)
Light green sage nose with a hint of mint. Med-light body, reserved medium depth earthy raspberry/strawberry, touches of pepper and spice, lightly fine tannins, nicely balanced moderate acidity, with a bit of green coming through the finish. Very elegant, but definitely meant for the wine geek who appreciates the style. (91 pts.)

My note from 3/30/16:

I agree its for someone who likes this style. Its also a product of a the vintage.

At first sip, fresh, red pomegranate juice with a spicy core and a hint of licorice and a mild cedar, tobacco leaf.

With more time, more spice and tobacco,mint and other ripe and leafy flavors. Not funky or green at all, building intensity after an hour or so.

No harsh acids or tannins, delicious.

Had the 2010, wonderful.

This.

2011 is a Loire Cab Franc geek lovers vintage.

That is two of the most attractive TNs I have read in a while. Sage and mint nose? Yes please. Pomegranate, licorice, cedar, and tobacco?Mm-hmm. Where do I sign?

My concern with this wine is that it is a little turbid. The Poyeux is better. But I think the Brézé is without doubt the king of the cellar in 2011.