Wine Steal Of The Year: 2007 Bodega Los Aljibes Selectus

Never heard of said wine before. Saw a stack at Costco for $11.99 a bottle with a 94 point rating from TWA (unsure if Jay Miller score or not). Took a flier on a single bottle after reading CT reviews. No 2007 on WS, but 2008 is $81 a bottle.

Pop and pour last night with grass fed top sirloin. Very integrated and approachable with cool red fruits and no noticeable oak or tannins. Opened up very nicely after an hour. Not your typical modern Spanish Red in the style of El Nido, et al.

I went back for three cases.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sounds like a great find. FWIW…

2007 - 94 ROBERT PARKER

The Bodegas flagship is called Selectus; no 2006 was made but the 2007 Selectus was worth the wait. A blend of 30% Syrah, 20% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 10% Petit Verdot, it was aged for 18 months in new French oak. Smoky oak, pencil lead, Asian spices, incense, lavender, and assorted black fruits lead to a suave, dense, succulent offering that features outstanding volume and a 45-second finish. Give it another 3-4 years of cellaring and drink it from 2014 to 2027.

These new releases from Bodega Los Aljibes demonstrate what can be achieved by talented vignerons working in selected regions of La Mancha. Bodegas Los Aljibes is one of the up-and-coming stars of La Mancha.

18 months in new oak? Does not show at all.

I’d be stoked that the wine is French and not American.

That review was by Dr BigJ, by the way, not Parker. The 2013 got an 84 from Luis Gutierrez who has a little more credibility to me

Neal, Big Jay might have gotten lucky on this one. Is it an $80 bottle? Not to me, but $12 is a damn fine QPR for midweek. CT reviews are why I pulled the trigger.

Who’s the importer on back label?

image.jpeg

Sounds like a great deal. Stumbling upon an unknown gem for a great price is one of the joys of this wine thing IMO. Probably because you have to kiss a lot of frogs in the process.

Checked with our Costco in Chico, and they don’t even have it on their computer. Different districts get different wines, so not here.

Thanks for the tip, Bill. Found some at the Brentwood,TN Costco. We got wine in grocery stores starting July 1. You’ll have to come back for a visit sometime.

The release price shows $60

Was $12.49 at Costco today in TN.

Went back today for two more cases for out of state peeps. Still $11.99 a bottle.

Get it, Tex!! :slight_smile:

Yea!
11.99 Costco Davie Florida
Costco had it stacked by the front entrance.

Do they have more? Willing to ship to SC again?

BTW, we will be in Peru next week and I plan to bring back a ton of salt. The flavored salt you sent was so awesome you have inspired me. I will send you some Peruvian salt for your dining pleasure.

Wonder if there’s any in Atlanta… Looks like I’ll be going tomorrow to check.

Bill, which Costco was that?

All of them in DFW have floor stacks of them.