FAVORITE Châteauneuf-du-Pape ... Poll !!!

FAVORITE Châteauneuf-du-Pape producers (3 votes)

• Bois de Boursan (Versino)
  • Bonneau
  • Beaucastel
  • Charvin
  • Clos des Papes
  • Clos du Caillou
  • Les Cailloux
  • Janasse
  • Marcoux
  • Mont-Olivet
  • Pegau
  • Rayas (incl.Pignan)
  • Vieux Donjon
  • Vieux Telegraph
  • Clos St.Jean
  • Barroche / Giraud / Cristia / Saint-Prefert/ Grand Veneur (please specify)
  • Bosquet des Papes / Roger Sabon / Usseglio Pierre / Usseglio Raymond (please specify)
  • Gardine / Nerthe / Nalys / Fortia / Vatican (please specify)
  • Mordoree / Ferrand / Beaurenard / Vieille Julienne / Font de Michelle (please specify)
  • Other producers: (please specify)

0 voters

Your favorite producers … those with the most bottles (all cuvees) in the cellar.

I had only 20 options, so I had to combine some producers … please specify your choice in the text …

Gerhard,

You’ve really asked two questions: Our favorite producers but also those producers whose bottles we have the most of, which is not necessarily the same thing.

The most wonderful Châteauneuf-du-Pape I’ve ever had was a bottle of the 2001 Rayas last Christmastime, but the producer with whom I’ve had the most experience, with extremely satisfying bottles going back to the '81, is Beaucastel, and it’s also currently the most represented in my cellar.

No option for “none”? I thought there was always a chance to be negative here. Isn’t it part of the Berserkers founding principles?

Didn’t pick Rayas even though it’s my favorite. Too expensive, unfortunately. I chose:

• Beaucastel due to its particular style and for the cleaner side of the spectrum
  • Pegau due to its particular style and for the less clean side of the spectrum
  • Vieux Donjon for its classic profile and deliciousness

Agree, but with three votes I though both could be covered …

I was limited to 20 options … so I left “none” out - sorry!

1 Like

Beaucastel (and Hommage a JP), by far.
Second is Chapoutier ( Barberac, Croix de Bois, and La Bernadine.)

-Soren.

Oops, I missed that I could pick three. So, Rayas, Beaucastel and Clos des Papes.

Autrefois, it would have been Beaucastel by a margin. But I pretty much stopped buying after 01. Pegau and Charvin have by far the biggest share. Ferrand and Mourre de Tendre are coming up behind with Eddie Feraud (who I only discovered in the mid aughts picking up steam and Marcoux holding steady. Bois de Boursan is also someone I only discovered a few years ago who is starting to take up space. If I had infinite wealth, I’m sure there would be lots of Rayas there, but there isn’t. I’m not sure about Bonneau since I’ve only had it once and I won’t make judgments on something I know so little about.

I do not understand the vote for Beaucastel . I am usually disappointed : lately ( this summer ) with magnums 2006 : over ripe . Did not like it at all .
Clos Des papes is a much better wine , imo .
Hommage is a different story , that is a glorious wine .

I voted for Rayas , Clos des papes and Bonneau . La Janasse would have been fourth .

My Beaucastels are from 2005 and backwards. The quartet, 98-99-00-01, are all just staring to drink well now, IMO, but I do like them even older.
The Coudoulets are the lighter versions, and all four are very ready to drink now.
I’m rarely dissapointed, when I pull a beaucastel for the dinner. -Not the greatest CdP in the world, but always delivering.
Including the Hommage, then they are among the First Growths, in southern Rhone.

-Soren.

Funny, in my view Janasse is made in a way riper style than Beaucastel. Janasse is seriously undrinkable for me.

Exactly my point of view. Not the greatest CdP in the world, but (almost) always delivering. Had a 2012 Coudoulet recently and it was seriously delicious. And I also agree that 98 - 01 are the Beaucastels that are ready to drink now.

I do not disagree, but (… sounds a bit like beer … or Coca Cola …) pileon

I find Beaucastel after 1994/95 slightly boring, yes, satisfying, good to drink … but rarely exciting. For 65+€ that is not enough for me …

Sheer excitement I find in Rayas, Pegau, Bonneau … and - a real bargain and very traditional producer - in the regular Bois de Boursan ! The Felix is better still, but less traditional.

Gerhard, I agree with the beer/cola comparison. -A super wine, fair price (on release), easy to plan the food for the wine, because of My long relationship with these bottles.
If compared to Rayas and Bonneau(Celestins?), The Hommage must be chosen then. -And It can fight equally, with many other top cuvees too.
I have some Pegau also (I like them too), but the sure bet for the Thursday roast, is Beaucastel for Me.

-Soren.

Reg. Bonneau - not always Celestins it must be: the 1997 Marie Beurrier is a killer wine that will blow away almost everything … and I had a regular CdP/Bonneau 1991 (!) in spring: holy grail, unbelievable for this disastrous vintage, and the 91 MB is even better.
However, Bonneau needs time …

You mention the Dom. Bois de Boursan Felix. I have some 00’ in the cellar. Got them, because the Parker hype made Me… 97pts+ and sub $50. Haven’t tried them yet. Any notes ?

I pretty much stopped buying CdP after the 2001 vintage (bought a mixed case of 03 Vieux Donjon and Pegau). For my tastes, I enjoy Beaucastel and Donjon the most. That said, my understanding is that Donjon changed in style in more recent vintages.

Based on the accounts in this thread, I look forward to popping some corks on my 98-01 CdP’s once the weather gets colder.

i don’t have much but this is my order of preference:
rayas - when i used to be able to afford it
charvin
marcoux

[cheers.gif]

1 Like

Rayas if I could afford it.
Charvin because I can’t.

(I buy very little CNDP)

Quickly and from memory: mix of dark and red fruits, with provenvial herbs and mushrooms. Very fragrant (with air), powerful and sweet, but also elegant and balanced, very mouthfilling and long on the palate, early maturity - for me 95p (tasted in January) … easy until 2025+ …