Just Suppose.........

that a good friend gives you a $500 gift certificate at Winebid.com. What Napa Valley Cabs would you spend it on? AND, since you are an old phart, you need to choose wines that are relatively approachable now, or within a couple of years.

2014 Caymus, of course.

Something Shafer Hillside Select from a great vintage. Maybe a magnum if its in the cards.
That’s a generous friend. Whatever it is, Sharpie his name on in in Gold

1995 Beringer Private Reserve. And some 1991-1997 La Jota Anniversary bottlings.

But then, these caught my eye.

Both of those would be epic. I’d be all about that Dunn.

Since I don’t know if I could bring myself to put all my eggs in 1 basket, I’d probably mix it up a bit. An older Corison, 2009ish Cayuse Armada, and a 2005ish Clos des Papes.

this one

2 of these

90 of these

Colgin?

Mayacamas Cab?

Monte Bello large formats?

Baumard and other Loire whites?

A bunch of Zinfandel??

2009 Kelleher Brix Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon!

Okay, got some good candidates, but any more hot wines? 2012 or 2013 Napa Valley cabs?

2013 Outpost True Vineyard $195

2013 Schrader GIII $210

2013 Schrader To Kalon $230

Not a cab, but was my WOTY last year
Andremily Syrah 2012

The question - why limit it to Napa Cabs, especially recent vintages? I would agree with others to look at older vintages - to me, that’s where Winebid offers many potential ‘jewels’. And based on your original post, it sounds like you are looking for wines to drink sooner than later . . .

Oh well, that said, so many Napa cabs are being made in ‘forward’ styles that allow them to be approachable young . . .

I would think your money would go much further if you think outside the ‘Napa Cab’ box, but heck, perhaps that’s just me :slight_smile:

Cheers.

I would wait until Winebid has some Phillip Togni Cabernet available . . .

I think the OP asked for older vintages… ones that are approachable now…

Shazam!

… or maybe some Paul Hobbs Beckstoffer To-Kalon. Aged Chateau Montelena seems to pop up often also.

Can I buy 10 $50 wines or do i have to buy 2 $100 wines and 15 $25 wines?

Okay, here is the list I have to whittle down to be under $500 to cover Winebid fees, etc. Fortunately I do pick up, rather than have wines shipped.

2005 Chateau Montelena Montelena Estate $60.00 CT91.9
1995 Beringer Private Reserve $85.00 CT92.5
1994 La Jota Anniversary Release $75.00 CT93
1995 Robert Mondavi Reserve $70.00 CT92.1
1995 Pahlmeyer red $95.00 CT94.1
1995 Etude $75.00 CT92.3
2012 Rivers-Marie Panek Vineyards $85.00 CT93.4

All cabs or cab blends.

What would you choose, to be finally under $500, including Winebid fees.

Just turned 80, so need wines that can be drunk from now to the next few years. I DO have to last 3 more years, to celebrate my 50 year marriage anniversary (or my wife will kill me).

I was actually excited to see a bunch of older Cline Cellars Contra Costa Mourvedre from the 1990’s last week.

Alas, someone scooped them all up.