2011/2012 Burgundy

Feel free to tell me that I should stop being lazy and search the site. However, I just discovered just a retailer in my area has amped up their Burgundy selection. Mostly 3011 and 2012’s from Domaine Faivley. If I remember correctly, Dennis K. Is a fan of that domaine. An comments on the vintages? Also a few wines from Marc Morey. Opinions?

I like the Marc Morey wines. I recently tasted through a number of the 2014s and while there wasn’t a weak wine presented my favorites where the Virondot, Caillerets, and Pucelles. While the Rully isn’t a domain wine it can be a good QPR.

Many red 2011 seemed green at release. But village at least drink well now and have lost that green bite. 2012 reds have been closed down some years now. Expect 12 to store better in the long run than 11.

Most of my reds have been from nuit St George and Gevrey chambertin.

Jo

2012 is far superior for reds than 2011. In whites I would back 2011 (a very under-rated vintage).

Yeah. Thanks for the confirmation. That’s what my limited knowledge was telling me. That being said, I just checked my photo of the stock from the retailer and it looks like some of the Faively is 2013 including Gevery-Chambertin 1er Cru La Combe aux monies and Nuits St. George 1 ear Cru Les Poretws. Does that change opinions?

Nice auto correct on the names of the above 1er crus…

'13 is a very good vintage in general for both colours. They’ll need a bit more time than the '12’s. The '12’s have delicious fruit and they are luscious and relatively open-knit. '13’s are more mineral and a bit nervy but very good.

My two cents on the reds -

The 13 reds have surprised me on the upside. I’m still working through some producers I like, but they have lively fruit and some tension, if not the depth of a top year.

The 12s are a mixed bag for me. More positive than not. I could wish for a little more acidity, but when they work they are well-delineated with rich fruit, like a hybrid of 9 and 10 without reaching the heights of either. When they don’t, they come across foursquare and boxy.

The 11s are a very mixed bag, though I have found ones to like. Of the three, it would be my least likely gamble untasted unless the pricing was seriously attractive.

Don’t have many '11s or '12s. Did get some Jadot to confirm we’re not buying any more from that Domaine. Also tried some Latour and won’t be stocking them either.

Faiveley has a spot in our cellar, and some of their Mercurey 1ere Crus are nice values. A little tarter than my wife likes so they’re all for me. Skipped 2011 and 2012, but still have some '09 and have a case (6 bottles) of the Clos des Myglands from 2013 sitting unopened in the box. Probably gonna order a case of 2014 too. Most recent vintages from Faiveley have been very open from release.

My limited experience with those two years ('11 and '12) for Reds is that '11 is a softer vintage and decent even now but not Earth shattering and can be VERY hit or miss, while '12 has better backbone to age and needs a little more time. Many '12 Whites are very nice now.

ps - autocorrect turns Faiveley into Naively and Jadot into Jabot.

Awesome. Thanks guys, I get limited stock here and lousy pricing. Nice to to have some good info before I spend the dollars.

I agree 100%. I would not buy 2011 red unless I have to. For the 2011 white, it is very under-rated; and I do not mind to buy and add more… champagne.gif

I opened a 2011 Guillemot SLB Jarrons the other day. It’s quite light and has a pretty nose. I like this type of wine but if you prefer your wines a bit plumper, you may feel compelled to buy the poor thing a sandwich.

I visited Faiveley in 2014 and tasted both the reds and whites from 2012. Wonderful wines Erwan is making and in a totally different, more forward and friendly style than was the tradition at Faiveley. I’m a fan and would buy the 12’s without hesitation.

I like all three in red. I have had far too many really delicious 2011s to call it a weak vintage. The wines are generally lower in alcohol, and more transparent (other things showing) and red-fruited than any other recent vintage. They shine at the table already, as Craig suggests. I believe that, in 10-20 years, Burgundy drinkers will be pleased to have them in their cellars. In my experience, the 2012s have more flesh and density, darker fruit, and not the transparency. I find that the 2013s have pretty, fresh fruit and plenty of verve (unlike some 2012s). The more I drink, the more I like the vintage.

For me 2012 is far better than 2011 (red) - and slightly better than 2013 (but that might be only a personal preference).
It is a mistake to believe that the 2012 are early maturing and forthcoming … the first impression in casks was an intense lush fruitiness that almost has hidden the structure, but the structure (tannin as well as acidity) is definitely there - and quite a lot of wines are beginning to shut down - or even have done so …
There are fine 2011s, but not too many … most lack real sweetness (of tannins) and show a certain dryness in the finish … they will be drinkable before the 2012 …
2013 is a positive surprise, but nevertheless for me the acidity is (too) high and the fruit classic but not really sweet … tannins are often noticable … the best wines will need time (except you wanna drink it on the structure - and not on mature fruit …) - classic year but not great (with some great wines).

In white 2011 is livelier than 2012 … the latter is fatter … the best wines are better balaced, but many are also too broad …
2013 white suffered of hail … but what remained is often good to very good, but lacking a bit length …

Are these for cellaring or drinking?

If you intend to drink soon and like acidity, I think the 13’s are your best bet. Reminds me a little of '08 five years ago.

If you intend to cellar for at least ten years, the 12’s are an easy call. They should be long-lived, but even the lower-tier wines have turned grumpy.

I thought 11’s were closed, but a few recent versions were already pleasant. It might be a good mid-term vintage, and should be reasonably priced.

This nails it.

I second Martin’s assessment whole heartedly! And I am quite prone to nit-picky “actualizing”, as we say in my family.
Starting phrases with “Actually,” as a lead in to correcting some wee detail…
So, actually, 2013 may be the reddest fruited vintage along with '11 of the past 8 vintages…
;0

Interesting. Initially 12 and 13 were hailed as excellent white burg vintages and “better” than 11.

Sounds like your preference is for the 11?

I have really enjoyed the 11 white burgs that I have tried (only purchased 2 bottles of 11 red burg as I have plenty of 07 at better prices). The only thing that concerns me is a recent note by Jeremy about some green in a Raveneau Clos.

We’re popping one on Friday to see for ourselves.

Counting backwards on my fingers leads to the realization that 2007 is included in that group if we’re talking about vintages that have been released. There are a LOT of really nice red fruit dominant Burgundies that have very pretty profiles from that year. [cheers.gif]

So far, 2000, 2007, and it looks like 2014 will be softer vintages. If the pattern holds, 2021 will be the next year my wife goes cuckoo for Burgundy. [wink.gif]