The dreaded email postcard

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
RichSteinberg
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #1  Postby RichSteinberg » August 3rd 2016, 4:03pm

Sorry folks park is closed email from SQN. Always next year.
Money can't buy happiness. But it can buy wine which is kinda the same thing.

Advertisement

Ken Strauss
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #2  Postby Ken Strauss » August 3rd 2016, 4:21pm

RichSteinberg wrote:Sorry folks park is closed email from SQN. Always next year.

Patience is rewarded.
I waited 7 years!
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"
Jody Smith

Post #3  Postby Jody Smith » August 3rd 2016, 4:24pm

Still waiting 9 years later. -0- attrition from last offering. Crazy.
WilliamW

Post #4  Postby WilliamW » August 3rd 2016, 11:48pm

Jody Smith wrote:Still waiting 9 years later. -0- attrition from last offering. Crazy.

The issue with these hype train wines is that even if people no longer want their allocation, they stay on and treat it like an annuity.
ᓭ ₩e͏͡hwhy̛͡ȇȠΞᓯ ‍
M@tt G.

Post #5  Postby M@tt G. » August 4th 2016, 12:01am

From SQN:

We are in the process of offering three new wines.
The 2014 Grenache "Shakti," the 2014 Syrah "Piranha Waterdance" and the 2012 Petite Manseng Vin de Paille "Shackled."

Horribly enough we don't have enough to offer some to you. Please know - with absolute certainty - that this is very much disheartening to us and that we much, MUCH rather send you an invitation to buy. But Mother Nature simply did not grant that. In fact, in this outset phase of this offering we could not take on a single new waiting list customer.
G3y3r
Jody Smith

Post #6  Postby Jody Smith » August 4th 2016, 6:16am

WilliamW wrote:
Jody Smith wrote:Still waiting 9 years later. -0- attrition from last offering. Crazy.

The issue with these hype train wines is that even if people no longer want their allocation, they stay on and treat it like an annuity.

Seems that way, although honestly, its not worth my time/effort for something you can't really scale. Of course we know people who do nothing but sit around and flip bottles all day, so it's worthwhile to someone I suppose.

I've dropped 4 others this year that still have some arbitrage opportunity, it's just not for me. I dont know what it is about SQN and Scregale, but they have been unbreakable for a decade. At some point, a generational gap has got to break their run, but who knows.
BobH

Post #7  Postby BobH » August 4th 2016, 8:11am

How did you know that? That is pretty wild.

I was a mailing list member, but I dropped them a couple of years ago, mostly because the cost was getting to be a lot, and they won't ship to PA, which made shipping a real hassle for me. A shame, because I do like their wines, especially the grenaches.
hud@k
Paul Flynn
(Online)
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #8  Postby Paul Flynn » August 4th 2016, 9:17am

I've only been waiting a couple of years because direct shipping became legal in MA less than 2 years ago. If I had only known.
Paul

“I have to have the most expensive thing, not because it’s the most expensive but because it costs more”

Cordelia Chase
David K o l i n
SubscriberSubscriber
Born Under Punches

Post #9  Postby David K o l i n » August 4th 2016, 9:56am

Ken Strauss wrote:
RichSteinberg wrote:Sorry folks park is closed email from SQN. Always next year.

Patience is rewarded.
I waited 7 years!

Congrats! Glad you could join us in the bi-annual account draining ritual
“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.” T. Roosevelt

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it." J. Goebbels (reprised by D Trump)
larry schaffer

Post #10  Postby larry schaffer » August 4th 2016, 10:00am

A couple of questions / observations:

1) Are they still offering the 'second' label and if so, what is that current release situation?

2) If yields in 2014 were off, 2015 is bound to be even worse, knowing the conditions of vineyards in the SB County area - so don't expect much to change next year either - sorry . . .

3) I wonder how much of their production is their 'regular' offerings vs their extended age ones . . . perhaps in 2014 they decided to switch things up?

Cheers
larry schaffer
tercero wines
Andrew Kaufman
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #11  Postby Andrew Kaufman » August 4th 2016, 10:54am

Can anyone post their email address?
S. Stevenson

Post #12  Postby S. Stevenson » August 4th 2016, 11:17am

Andrew Kaufman wrote:Can anyone post their email address?

sqn@sinequanonwines.com
Stan
Mark Christenson

Post #13  Postby Mark Christenson » August 4th 2016, 11:25am

larry schaffer wrote:1) Are they still offering the 'second' label and if so, what is that current release situation?

What is their "second" label?
"...the thrall of reason, f
HiltonDG

Post #14  Postby HiltonDG » August 4th 2016, 11:36am

Took me 10 years to get on.
David Hilton
Jody Smith

Post #15  Postby Jody Smith » August 4th 2016, 12:03pm

BobH wrote:

I was a mailing list member, but I dropped them a couple of years ago, mostly because the cost was getting to be a lot, and they won't ship to PA, which made shipping a real hassle for me. A shame, because I do like their wines, especially the grenaches.

Bob, they noted in their 'none for you' email that they were unable to bring anyone onto the list for this offer. I suppose that could mean someone did drop off, and yields were just down. I simply inferred the attrition because they explicitly came out and said only 3 people had passed on an offering a few years ago. (I don't recall when, but I'm pretty sure it was when they were still sending paper postcards.) Regardless, movement here is sluggish at best. It sucks watching the price creep up on this each year. It wasn't until ~9 years ago that I realized VA opened up to direct shipping. Before then, I didn't even know mailing lists were a thing because I couldn't order direct. It took me a few years to catch on that state law had changed, and by then, it was too late to get on a few lists.

I elected not to take my NoK allocation this year because someone had reported they were into 2007 sign-ups last year for SQN. Doesn't look hopeful based on vintage yield for an offer any time soon. NoK is just as painful a wait. I responded to the initial offer in 13 minutes and it took 6 years to get an offer...
mark rudner
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #16  Postby mark rudner » August 4th 2016, 12:50pm

Mark Christenson wrote:
larry schaffer wrote:1) Are they still offering the 'second' label and if so, what is that current release situation?

nok?
Drew Goin

Post #17  Postby Drew Goin » August 4th 2016, 3:10pm

I also received the email. I forgot that I ever signed up! ;)
BobH

Post #18  Postby BobH » August 4th 2016, 3:45pm

Jody Smith wrote:
BobH wrote:

Bob, they noted in their 'none for you' email that they were unable to bring anyone onto the list for this offer. I suppose that could mean someone did drop off, and yields were just down. I simply inferred the attrition because they explicitly came out and said only 3 people had passed on an offering a few years ago. (I don't recall when, but I'm pretty sure it was when they were still sending paper postcards.) Regardless, movement here is sluggish at best. It sucks watching the price creep up on this each year. It wasn't until ~9 years ago that I realized VA opened up to direct shipping. Before then, I didn't even know mailing lists were a thing because I couldn't order direct. It took me a few years to catch on that state law had changed, and by then, it was too late to get on a few lists.

I elected not to take my NoK allocation this year because someone had reported they were into 2007 sign-ups last year for SQN. Doesn't look hopeful based on vintage yield for an offer any time soon. NoK is just as painful a wait. I responded to the initial offer in 13 minutes and it took 6 years to get an offer...

Its too bad we didn't hook up earlier. Part of the reason I decided to drop off the list was because I was having a devil of a time finding someone in a shipping state willing to accept my shipment, split off what they wanted, and send the rest to me. Even at cost. I think people either wanted their own allocation or none at all.
hud@k
ky1em!ttskus

Post #19  Postby ky1em!ttskus » August 4th 2016, 3:59pm

mark rudner wrote:
Mark Christenson wrote:

nok?

Or is Larry talking about regular vs. EBA bottlings?
Mark Christenson

Post #20  Postby Mark Christenson » August 5th 2016, 10:47am

kylemittskus wrote:
mark rudner wrote:
Mark Christenson wrote:

nok?

Or is Larry talking about regular vs. EBA bottlings?

I wondered both of those, too, except that he also referenced "their 'regular' offerings vs their extended age ones", and NoK is a separate label, not a second label.
"...the thrall of reason, f
larry schaffer

Post #21  Postby larry schaffer » August 5th 2016, 10:50am

I was referring to NOK - sorry for the confusion.

Is that still going? What's the status of the wait list for that?

And I do wonder if they are shifting production at all to their EBA stuff - they are able to get more $$$ for it so it would not surprise me - just have not heard one way or another . . .

Cheers
larry schaffer
tercero wines
Jody Smith

Post #22  Postby Jody Smith » August 5th 2016, 7:40pm

Larry- You don't see much chatter on NoK, but yes, that project is still going. As I mentioned up thread, I responded to the project announcement in 13 minutes, and wasn't offered anything until NoK#6. NoK#7 was offered recently.

Not sure about redirection to the EBA. Its definitely more expensive, but the grape costs are tied up another year and I assume more is given up to evaporation. Not sure if the math adds up, just playing Devils advocate.
ryancurry

Post #23  Postby ryancurry » August 5th 2016, 8:39pm

If anybody would like some at cost, let me know. I'll have 9 each of syrah and grenache. With CA sales tax and shipping, its about $190 per. The shipping cost drives me nuts. They ship air from Ventura to Southern California...
itb
Paul McCourt
SubscriberSubscriber

Post #24  Postby Paul McCourt » August 5th 2016, 9:36pm

WilliamW wrote:

One! I dropped off the list a few years back.

Return to Wine Talk

logo
Food Advertising by