Gaillard Cote Rotie Espirit de Blonde?

Can anyone give me any information about this bottling by Gaillard? Cant seem to find much at all online.

JL-L has good infos…

The wines > Saint-Joseph > PIERRE GAILLARD > Côte-Rôtie Esprit de Blonde

100% Syrah (early 1970s) from 0.6 hectare of rented vineyards on gneiss soils on southern sector Mollard, destemmed, 5-7 day pre-fermentation cooling at <10°C, 4-week vinification at up to 35°C, 3 daily cap punchings, pumping overs, part vat emptying/refilling, with maceration at 30°C, aged new 228-litre oak casks (Allier, Nevers) 18-20 months, with malo completed in the casks, oxygenated every 4 months, unfiltered, first wine 2012, 2,200 b

(casks) medium red robe. Smoky bacon, attractive rumble of raspberry fruit on the nose – it gives a nice image of plump berries, comes with a light rocky smokiness. The attack presents appealing, tasty fruit, comes very much in the Burgundian school of Côte-Rôtie, is all en finesse with a small increase in depth towards the finish. Violets and rose appear on the aftertaste. This has local character. From mid-2017. 2024-25 £420 12 b in bond H2Vin GB www.h2vin.co.uk Nov 2015

(casks) mild red robe; soft, squeezy air of red berries, the garden in summer in the glass, with a little smoke and note of tannin beyond the fruit. The palate is juicy, round, immersed, coulis style raspberry fruit at its heart. It gives a little tannic bite, also oak grip. The palate is aromatic and enjoyable, holds fine juice. This is a charming wine to drink and think about, not one to knock back carelessly – it is a wine of fine tread. From late 2017. £400 12 b in bond H2Vin GB www.h2vin.co.uk 2026-28 Nov 2014

Thanks I saw the same thing but also found a 2011 bottling locally which doesnt seem to jive with JLL’s statement on first wine 2012. And there really isnt much info on Gaillard’s website - although the website isnt great.

Wow. That’s pretty much every trick in the modern winemaker’s back of tricks.

And I see an interview with Gaillard on youtube about the wine but not understanding French makes it difficult to learn anything from that :slight_smile:

yeah, seems the 2011 was the first vintage, not 2012.

That looks like typical Gaillard, I’m reading as 100% new oak, racked 4-5 times. Too much of both for me, particularly the oak.

Well, I don´t know this particular new cuvee of Gaillard, but to me it seems a bit strange to make a wine from Côte blonde … and do everything that it doesn´t taste like a Côte blonde (no Viognier, long pre-fermentation, long cuvaison, heavy cap punchings, pumping overs, and aged in 100% new oak …)
[scratch.gif]