A week ago Friday in Chablis

On Friday morning of our trip to Burgundy we were in Chablis. We visited Domaine Christian Moreau and had a wonderful visit with Christian’s son Fabien. We tasted a number of 2015s and 2014s ranging from village Chablis up to Grand Crus and ended the tasting with a fabulous 2011 Valmur. I very much like the style of these wines. Very clean and precise with excellent acidity. Classic Chablis as in you could show these if you wanted to teach someone what Chablis is supposed to taste like.

On Friday afternoon, we tasted at Domaine Moreau-Naudet with Stephan Moreau. Had a whole bunch of 2014s ranging from Petite Chablis up through Valmur, his only Grand Cru. Then we had three older wines: 2012 Vaillons, 2009 Forest and 2008 Vaillons. Very flavorful wines. His wines are almost a cross between Chablis and a Cote du Beaune white but retaining the structure of a Chablis. Very impressive. It was interesting. We only spoke a bit of French and he spoke more broken English, but Stephan was so friendly and charming that we had very little problems understanding each other. I guess good wine is a common language.

As with the reds and whites in the Cote d’Or, both 2014 and 2015 are excellent vintages. I probably saw less stylistic difference in the two vintages in Chablis than I did in the reds in the Cote d’Or.