TN: 1988 Leroy Bourgogne Rouge, 2004 Leflaive Pucelles, 2002 Jadot Chambertin Clos De Beze

A few from last week. Delayed the post so we could secure a few more 04 Leflaive Pucelles :wink:

• 1988 Maison Leroy Bourgogne - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne (7/30/2016)
    This says “Bourgogne Leroy” on it. Not sure if it makes any difference.

Thin and acidic on opening. Slow ox’d for 2 hours. It picks up a bit of smoked meat, leather, and sweetness. Savory on the palate and quite nice with pork chop. Not bad at all!

• 2002 Louis Jadot Chambertin-Clos de Bèze - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambertin-Clos de Bèze Grand Cru (7/30/2016)
    A bit of reduction on the nose. Decanted for 2 hours. Minimal sediment. Bright red cherry fruit. A bit of earth and meat on the nose. With time this becomes more massive and tannic and the oak actually becomes more prominent. Put this away for the long haul.
  • 2004 Domaine Leflaive Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Pucelles - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (7/30/2016)
    Wowzers! I guess we lucked out given the other CT notes.

That classic old school leflaive with sulfer on the nose but also with rich fruit and buttered popcorn on the plate. Incredible texture and length. Some vanilla custard sweetness. No signs of premox. Light yellow with a tinge of green. So good. What a shame the recent vintages show nothing like this.

Posted from CellarTracker

Fred , I sold most of my Leflaives at auction ( 02, 05 , 06 , 07 ) but not the 2004’s . I agree they are wonderful and even at the young side today .

Interesting you sold off the 02. Premoxed?

There was some concern a few years back that the 04s were terminally reduced but this Pucelles was quite nice. The Chevy was also pretty good 2 years ago.

I hope the bottle you “secured” show well. :slight_smile: Nice note! We had a bottle of 05 Leflaive Folatieres last night that showed really nicely.

Yes , LOTS of leflaives 2002 premoxed ( bought on release , stored impeccable etc )