TN: Dinner at Ezio & Raffaella's

DINNER AT EZIO & RAFFAELLA’S - Turin, Italy (7/2/2016)

On my first night in Italy, my wonderful friends put on the most amazing dinner in their home. With Gianfranco and his wife Jolanda.

For pix and more info:
http://www.finewinegeek.com/tn/2016-07_Piedmont/2016-07-02_Ezio_Torino/

Champagne
Exquisite Parmigiano-Reggiano “cookies” and Parmigiano-Reggiano with 25-yr Traditional Balsamic Vinegar.
Zucchini in Carpione.

Château d’Yquem and Foie Gras
Foie Gras Entier and String Bean Salad.

• 1983 Château d’Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    A nose from heaven of the world’s most exquisite crème brûlée. A wine of infinite complexity. Not overly sweet. Extraordinary length and depth. Wow, finish lasts for minutes. With the foie gras, it is even more vibrant. Came back to it at the end for the fresh strawberries and zabaione. Amazing wine! (99 pts.)

Culatello and Silvaner
Culatello di Zibello.

Great Nebbiolo
Loosely Scrambled Eggs and Peas with Black Truffles shaved on top.

• 1990 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Riserva Asili - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco
    [Decanted around 1:30pm. Served around 11pm.] Classic nose of fruitcake and red and black fruits. Rich, complex, tannic. Expansive black fruit, licorice, and rose petals. Still quite young. Super long finish. Great now, but no rush to drink. Ezio says it was even better the next day! (97 pts.)
  • 1961 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Riserva Monfortino Speciale - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    [Decanted around 1:30pm. Served around 11pm.] Gorgeous nose of dried cherries, Autumn leaf mulch, and a hint of brown sugar. Exquisite in the mouth with tart cherries, tar, and a touch of sherry. Medium length. Gorgeous and vibrant, but drink up. (96 pts.)

Desserts
Chinato Gelato. Then Fresh Strawberries and Zabaione. Then Vignola Cherries.

What a magnificent evening of food, wine, and friends.

Posted from CellarTracker

wow, loved the pictures and the green beans with 60 years experience.
grest notes

That 83 Yquem is really something. Have a great trip.

Great report Ken!

Ken,

This report makes me hungry and thirsty. [cheers.gif]

Thanks. I’m already back. I had no time to do write-ups while I was there, and then lots of work in my day job when I got back.

Wasn’t that something? They are a great couple.

Chinato gelato – now there’s a wonderful thought. Thanks for the notes.

Amazing. Please keep them coming!