Quick TN's from a week of epic drinking (SQN, MacD, Screagle, Dujac, Forman, Spotts, VCC, etc)

Some quick notes I took last week. One of those weeks where I tried a LOT of wines. The following were from two parties, one for a collector’s birthday and the other at a party thrown for me and my fiancée at a friend’s house. So many great wines last week I actually have left some out. Trying to actually score rationally, but all these were excellent.

2004 Aubert “Reuling” Chard, Sonoma
Deep golden color. Almost starting to become a dessert wine in the nose. To me has peaked. Yummy, but drink em.
92pts

2011 Sine Qua Non “Dark Blossom” Syrah, Cali
There were ten… TEN different SQN’s at the party and this one was the one I liked most of them, and of all things it was an… 11? Beasty, concentrated, powerful and clearly a wine that needs time. Probably my favorite SQN wine since “The Left Hand”, which must be a decade ago. Gave the others 91-94. but can’t remember which they were.
95+pts

2010 Vieux Chateau Certan, Pomerol
Medium bodied with big tannins but rather suave. Actually approachable now but won’t hit its stride for a decade. Was hoping for a bit more “oomph.” Others liked this a bit more than me.
93+pts

2009 Abreu “Madrona Ranch” Cab, Napa
Still massive with dense texture and high-octane black fruit. Phenomenal texture and a bit of sweetness round it out. Hard to think of food that would ever go with this Cab, but in isolation a kind of a monument on its own. Madrona is always my favorite Abreu. Still not ready. Perhaps one of the WOTV from an average vintage, imo.
95pts

2005 Ch Montrose, St Estephe
This is my kind of Bordeaux. Lead pencil, deep black cherry, big structure, ample tannin and poised to become elegant to boot, with age. Feels like it needs 4-5 more years and then start sampling. Classical.
96pts

2010 Ch. Clinet, Pomerol
For me, liked it more than the VCC. More power, more density, although less elegance. Felt more like a St Emilion, but was turned on by its sexiness and strength. Give 5-7+ years.
94+pts

2010 Paul Lato “lumiere” Grenache “Larner Vineyard”
From a 3L. Didn’t even know he made this varietal. I’ve never met this guy but every time I try a wine from him, I really dig it. This was a medium weight, beautiful wine that smelled like Grenache rather than Grenache trying to be Petite Sirah. Is there any wine this guy can’t make?
93pts

2007 Forman Cab, Napa
Just a wicked wine, right in “the zone.” Gobs of red fruit, cinnamon, with a nice balance and elegance just starting to poke through. Leaves most 07s I’ve had recently in the dust. I wanna make a wine like this.
96pts

2007 La Janasse “XXL’ Chateauneuf
At first drink, blew me away. Huge (15.5% listed) and rich, but noticed some VA crept in after some time open and that dropped it a notch or two for me. Felt like a Paso-styled wine. Not sure what to think of this style.
90pts

2005 Spottswoode Cab, Napa
Next to the Forman was hard to pick a favorite. This one was more elegant with less power and lighter on its feet. Entering the zone. Start drinking but no hurry, has another 5+ left. I am such a Napa whore.
95pts

2012 Screaming Eagle Cab, Napa
Always such a nice wine. Deep red fruits, obviously a Napa, but not in the mega ripe style. Good structure and tremendous balance. A thoroughbred.
95pts

1985 Dom Dujac Chambolle Musigny
Unreal. I’ve not had too many great older Burgs, but this left me breathless. Felt like I was drinking liquid roses, literally. In a perfect zone, still had some fruit but also lots of other things going on. Ethereal. One of my favorite wines of 2016. Probably the best twenty-plus year old Burg I’ve ever had, although I’ve not had that many, so….
96pts

1961 Vieux Chateau Certan, Pomerol
Probably a decade-plus past its peak but still fantastic. Cedar, spice and warm fruit. Felt pretty ripe. No flaws and the label was in perfect condition.
95pts

2013 MacDonald Cab, Napa
Had heard many things about this from friends but had not had before. A giant in the bottle. Huge in every way, but without trying to be so. Structured, massively tannic, with deep black fruits and graphite. Needs lots of time. I hate to use the comparison but could be a Napa version of a great vintage of Latour. Almost need to try it again soon to make sure I really tasted what I did. Phenomenal. Almost certainly the best, most promising 2013 Napa Cab I’ve had, leading WOTV candidate. I told Graeme “I hope you enjoyed making it because this might be the best one you ever make.” Maybe I am just jealous.
98+pts

Good drinking, buddy!

I’m jealous of the MacDonald boys, too. :wink:

Damn, that one sentence says it all.

Now tell me how I keep seeing 2013 MacDonald popping up in tasting notes yet the release isn’t supposed to be to this fall. [scratch.gif]

reading your Dujac note reminds me of my one regret in 30 years of buying Burgundy–chasing grand cru and not buying enough AC and premier cru bottles.

Roy,

If you are not familiar with the Larner Vineyard and its potential, check out what Jaffurs, Kaena, Herman Story and others do with the fruit from that vineyard.

I’ve been making a 100% Grenache from there since 2008, and I’ve gotta say - though they’ve pushed for Ballard Canyon to be an AVA focused on Syrah, perhaps they should be focusing it on Grenache and its potential as a wonderful stand-alone variety . . . Oh yeah, and the Mourvedre from the area isn’t too shabby either!

Cheers

Thanks, Larry!

1985 Dom Dujac Chambolle Musigny
Unreal.

That one word says it all.

You drink well Roy. Can’t wait for the MacDonald release.

Fantastic notes, Roy. Forman and Spottswoode are personal faves.

Great notes, Roy! Congrats again!

Great notes! Thanks for posting

More than a little jealous about the 1961 VCC. I’ve never even seen a bottle. Knowing your love for 09 Beausejour, I was a bit surprised about your thoughts on 2010 VCC. I think that’s probably the best wine the estate has ever produced. It’s mind blowing for me, an easy 100 Pts for me today. 2010 Clinet is close, but not at the same level. I knew you would not like love the Janasse…

Very high praise for some of these wines feom someone who makes a helluva wine himself!

I bought a few '07 Forman cabs on your recommendation when they were released. Glad to see they still get your stamp of approval. I’ll have to open one soon.

Andy

Wow. Great wines, Roy!

I remember you posting about the 2007 Forman on the Squires BB and you mentioned that Ric had said the alcohol was higher than normal and he had let the ripeness of the grapes get away a little. And you replied that he should do that more often. The 2007 is one of my favorite vintages for the Forman Cabernet. Glad to read that it is drinking well.

Thanks, Ed

Yeah, the 2007 was listed at 14.9%, which is almost always code for over 15%. In this case, it has worked out really well.