Assorted TN: Fourrier, Rhys, LDH

Had some friends for dinner and served them 3 wines double blind.

2012 Rhys Horseshoe
2009 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Cherbaudes Vieille Vigne
1995 Loped Heredia Bosconia Gran Reserva

Of my two friends, one has tasted extensively and basically pinned the grape and regions for all three wines.

As for my notes:

The Fourrier surprised us with a strong nose of wood, but the palate showed it was well integrated with light red fruit and earthy flavors. I was expecting a wine with more upfront fruit given the vintage. I will definitely hold my remaining bottles for a few more years. Tasted more as if it had come from a cooler vintage.

The Rhys is is way to young with still tons of fruit flavors and spice. Stems present but totally balanced. The acidity levels and tannins supported the fruit well. No oak that I was able to notice. I would love to taste this wine again when the fruit begins to fade. Clearly California as pointed out by one of my friends who has tasted extensively. He also pinpointed the Burgundy and the spanish Rioja.

The LdH is from a batch I bought 3 years ago. For my taste the wine is beggining to decline, or perhaps to transform. Red fruit with acidity and resolved tannins.

All enjoyed with some lamb chops, fried green tomatoes and fried chicken.

Nice notes. Fun lineup.

Thanks for the notes, Sebastian; I had a '91 LDH Tondonia Rsva. blanco last night that was quite interesting.

(The Rhys is Horseshoe, not Horseshow, right?)

Typo. Corrected.

The Fourrier surprised us with a strong nose of wood, but the palate showed it was well integrated with light red fruit and earthy flavors. I was expecting a wine with more upfront fruit given the vintage.

The producers I have tasted in 2009 made classic wines. I would ignore the negative association of the 09 vintage. The Fourrier Gevrey VV is a awesome.

I love 09 Burgundy but it is to ripe for some people. Agree with you, this wine was quintessential burgundy.