For near term consumption:

1988 Beaucastel 3L

1988 Meyney 6L

1995 Pichon Lalande 3L

2000 Clos du Marquis 5L

The only one of these wines I’ve had recently was a 750 of the PL
All bought on release stored properly yada yada

Thanks!

I can only speak to the Meyney, it’s really quite good. Have had two bottles of the 1988 in the last year. It’s right smack in and toward the end of its optimal drinking window, at least from 750. I would assume your 1995 and 2000 Bdx in large format can go for a much longer time.

If go with either of the first two. They are both excellent and nicely mature.

I can say, that 2000 CdM is an utterly nice drink right now. Expertly made, in a succes year for Delon. A true little Las Cases. (Latest one, drunk on new-year 2016.) -Can also be cellared further. Highly recommended from 750ml.
The 5L format, and as You say, perfect storage, can delay the aging process, and show a younger wine than I predict.

My last experience with 1995 PL, was a dry, not singing example.

The 88’s - never tasted them, but sounds like some really nice mature bottles.

Regards, Soren.

Seriously I have absolutely no experience with these wines in large formats, but the Beaucastel 1988 has been fine for at least 15 years in 0.75, so I think it might show well also in 3 L - and generally it´s a better wine than the Meyney (which is good nevertheless).

Had an '88 Beaucastel from magnum 3 years ago for our 25th wedding anniversary celebration and it was drinking beautifully. Mature and still very alive. Also purchased on release and stored properly.

Very curious to hear what you think if you open the 3L Beau. I have one of those in the cellar as well, holding out for our 30th? 40th? anniversary.

The 88 Beaucastel would be my choice. It is relatively lighter/prettier style of Beaucastel but should drink beautifully from 3L.

Thanks for the input. Early returns look like we are trending Beaucastel which was my initial lean. Anniversary bottle as well in fact although not the purpose of this gathering.
Getting harder to find reasons to open large format I’m afraid. Maybe one day my daughter gets married and I can open the 6L of Ch Guiraud I’m sitting on

I too have a 6L Guiraud in the cellar in hopes of a daughters’ wedding. If you tell me it’s an '89, Twilight Zone music is going to start playing in my head…

Your 5th dimension is safe, mine is an '83.

I will say the Meyney is tempting, maybe I throw that in the bag as a backup :slight_smile: