Recent wines with Sushi

1985 Krug Collection: I’ve been lucky enough to taste this several times. This was the best showing. Really complex, rich, and full bodied. Pinot fruit is more dominate. Pretty similar to Clos d’Ambonnay. Red fruits, yellow/green apple, and toast. Just starting to show a hint toffee. Really complete wine.

1990 Cristal: Unfortunately this didn’t show well. First tired bottle I’ve come across. Should have been great :frowning:

1979 Michel Garnoux Pommard Rugiens: At first this showed some worrying dryness on the palate. Thankfully with a little bit of air the fruit sweetened up and filled out. It turned into a beautifully mature burgundy. Sous bois, red and dark fruit, aged tobacco. I’d buy cases if every bottle was this good. Unfortunately there is a lot of variation here.

1990 Roumier Ruchottes Chambertin: This started out magnificent. Quickly put the pommard in its place and showed its breeding. This was so layered and textured in the mouth. Concentrated ripe dark fruits coat still firm tannin. After about an hour this started to shut down. It firmed up and the acids became more pronounced. I’d hold onto these and revisit in 10 years.

That Krug sounds wonderful.

Now if you’d posted on mags of 2007 Chateauneuf you’d have at least a dozen responses.

I was going to be a smart-ass and say something, but I found some restraint. [basic-smile.gif]

Krug and sushi… I am a jealous man.

Krug and sushi. Classic.

I have some 85 vintage coming in. Hope it shows as well as yours.

What sushi pairs well with red Burgs? That Roumier sounds divine…if I had any, I’d be sure to wait the 10 years as suggested [pwn.gif]

I like a kab or spatlese with sushi.
I find a champagne is too acidic for most sushi (except maybe the raw shellfish like geoduck or abalone).

Burg on the other hand works well with fatty toro types but not super “fishy” fish. Like aji .

But an aged Riesling tend to go well with mostly everything.

Any specific sushi people like with champagne or burg? Not as a whole but specific fish?

If I have Champagne with sushi, I need a stem for each sip, as the fish oils immediately gets on the stem for me and then any aroma I get it tinged with raw fish.

Someone clue me in on this joke. Good pairing or bad? Clearly, the Krug sounds like a wonderful match…just curious on the CndP as I’ve actually not considered it with sushi before.

Had Krug Grand Cuvee NV with Sushi yesterday. Brillant!

it’s a joke from the robert parker days. Mocking RP and his pairing of a mag of CDP and sushi.

Red Burgs go perfectly well with UNI. You just lack the VISION to get it. neener

he is not #blessed

I enjoy aged red burgs with tuna. I can’t explain why it works, but it does for me. I also like red burg with seared wagyu beef over sushi rice. I like champagne with uni, ikura, tomago, and white fishes. Wine and sushi isn’t the best pairing in the world, but when you want to drink wine and want to eat sushi, this is what works for me. We usually end up having some sake at some point in the evening.

This meal was at Yamakase which certainly isn’t traditional Japanese food. The wines worked quite well with what was served.

I was actually being facetious about Krug and sushi being a “classic”. But again, when you want to drink Burg and Krug, almost any venue will do.

I agree champagne works well with uni and ikura…and truffle rice (when at Shunji).

Honestly sake isn’t the best pairing for sushi either.

Light Japanese beer works best IMO.

For straight sushi, no. But sake works great for a more varied Japanese meal that includes some sushi. I agree with you on the beer.

you noobs. lambics and sushi are the best.

Maybe you are hyper-sensitive to the scent of fish oil, but I’ve had this pairing many hundreds, if not over a thousand times, and have not experienced this.

hm. I think it also depends on the specific fish or the prep. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn’t. I know what Todd is talking about. I usually just ask for a new glass.