Cayuse waiting list. Anyone know of a person whose gotten on it recently?

Every year I get the email that says, “Thanks, you’re still on the list, blah blah blah, we’ll let you know…” Does anyone know how many names drop off the list (does anyone ever) each year? Have you ever heard of someone that got the other email saying “Welcome! to the list.” Will I still be alive when/if that email ever comes? I assume the waiting list is huge.

I signed up in 2011 and will hopefully be on it by 2018. This is based on a conversation with TJ in May of this year.

I’ve been on it for 7 years. Not gonna happen for me.

Signed up in 2009 or 08 and finally told them to forget me last year. That said, some people who signed up at the same time got on before I gave up.

I signed up in 2008 and got on the list in 2010. I guess something crazy happened right after I signed up?

No clue, don’t care, and you can pick up the wines. If you can’t, don’t feel cheated by life - there are other wines that are as good.

BTW - I have a number of their wines. But I got them cheap.

Michael,

I know someone in town (Seattle) who has been on the list for a long time and doesn’t use his whole allocation. Let me know if you want me to help you get a share.

Peter Hickner

Some do actual drop off the list. I did. I just got sick of paying for wine so far in advance and having to wish list three packs to hopefully get them and then have them available next time. It just wasn’t worth the hassle. Good wine, but not so great for my taste to make it worth the price plus the hassle.

Signed up in 2014.
Pretty sure by the time I make it, I will either

1. Not like that style of wine
  2. Release priced out of my budget
  3. Christophe has moved on to other projects

Signed up in fall '09, passed on the Horsepower last year. May get an offer this year, but I can buy 3 good OR PN that fit my tastes better now with no wait and the same cost.

I honestly don’t know when I signed up…I got the offer two years ago to buy. The wines are good, worth the price I pay, and to my tastes…worth the wait. I tend to keep my orders limited to a six pack at the most. I know others that buy their allocation of a case + and they’re happy. I don’t fault anyone for doing something so right that the demand is higher than what can be met.

I think that there is a point where these wines run the risk of out-pricing the customer. I’m almost there myself. I think a good business model will recognize this and when the waiting list gets lower and lower…the wines might be at their price threshold.

Signed up 2008. Bought 2012 (of the 2012 vintage).

Still worth the price. And can easily sell at cost if u want to reduce some holding.

I signed up in 2012 and just sent them email with a change of address and they kindly gave me an update that I was about 2-3 years or so out from getting on the list…

I agree. Better wines out there. And if you need to have these wines you can get them on the secondary market for near release price. We’re not talking about SQN here…

Which Syrah you enjoy more? We thought Sleight of Hand Psychedelic was right in Cayuse’s wheelhouse in 2013.

I’d also be interested in domestic producers that make wine in that style as well. Reynvaan is similar but different and is almost as expensive these days. I have a couple vintages of Saviah’s “The Funk” waiting in my cellar right now, but I haven’t tried it yet to know.

To the op- if you are in West Seattle, the wine shop in the Junction has had it on the shelves pretty regularly, the Italian market shop in Pike Place market has it and the big wine store in Sodo has been blowing through Cayuse cellars at retail.

Disclaimer- I don’t like the wines & am not trying to discourage anyone from their list, but they aren’t unattainable in Seattle.

I’m also curious about what specific wines posters are talking about when mentioning things that are as good or better, particularly in this style.

+1
Cayuse occupies a unique place in my cellar - I have been on the list many years, and while I no longer buy Camespelo, I am dialed in to Frog, God Only Knows and 2 of the syrahs (Armada and En chamberlin). They are well worth the price IMO and really are quite different from any other producer I buy from, which BTW includes Saxum and SQN (which I also love but those are more expensive).

Signed up in June 2009. Was able to place my first order last October. So about 6 years.