TN: 2005 Sine Qua Non Syrah Atlantis Fe2O3~1a, b & c

Yep. This wine is freaking singing right now.

I know SQN is not everyone’s cup of tea…but OMFG is this wine TASTY!!! bought 3 on release, and this was the last one. Easily the best of the 3 (drank the last one 2 years ago).

Popped the cork and was somewhat overwhelmed (per what I expected) by a very meaty/reductive note. This settled down and I was left with a wondrous melody of dark fruits, spice, and bacon (hard to explain…but less “meaty” than when first opened). Just haunting aromas. Pretty sure my dog even smelled this from across the room and came over to see what was going on.

On the palate, this is all rainbows and butterflies. Just glides across your mouth with incredibly smooth, sweet, dark fruits, and rose petals. Damn this is tasty. Pure silk but a tremendous amount of flavor. So well integrated and IMHO, probably even better in a year or two. Wish I had another one, but I am certainly not sad I popped this now. Perfect ending to an amazing night.

Cheers!

Thanks for posting this! Sounds great. I still have one bottle each of the Atlantis syrah and grenache, and will put the syrah in the “open near term” bin!

Yep, it’s really tasty Sherri!

I’m sure it could age longer…but it’s really good right now!

Love to hear what you think if you pop one!

Rich Brown downing some Rich Purple. I love it. Great note.

Thanks for the note. You got me thinking when was the last time I opened one. Definitely time to put one in the “open soon” category!

Incredible wine right now. So is the Grenache. Time to pop one again. Thanks for reminding me.

We opened this side-by-side with the Ode to E Grenache and Papa Syrah at a tasting for clients during Napa Auction week, and the Atlantis stole the show. Also very consistent between the two bottles opened.

Had one to celebrate our 15th anniversary tonight. Yum. Best bottle yet.

Had it in 2008, 2011 and last year. Interestingly enough, I preferred it best in 2008. I feel that way about a lot of wines(Saxum, Alban, to name 2 others). Somehow the freshness of the fruit drinking earlier has a huge appeal to me(as long as it is balanced and the tannins are not harsh).