19 Spanish wines mostly Rioja Gran Reservas plus Vega Sicilia Unico and more

Our lunch group met recently to enjoy some fine Spanish Rioja Gran Reservas from 2005 and older at our monthly venue, the Santa Barbara Club.

Although we usually do some form of Spanish wines around this time of year in honor of the local Spanish Days celebration, we moved it up a month since Monica Nogues of Think Global Wines and a representative of R. Lopez de Heredia from Spain is back in town and able to attend.

Chef, Humberto Perez, is especially adept at preparing Mexican food and on this occasion, he put together a fantastic menu to oblige our theme with an all Spanish menu. As a friend seated nearby stated, this is the best Mexican restaurant in town. That may be a stretch, but I have been blessed with many wonderful dishes aside from the set menu to respect my preference for lacto vegetarian fare and the tamales, enchiladas and green chile pepper dishes are to live for. I can honestly say, it`s as good as any of the better local Mexican restaurants.

The menu for the masses:

First Course:
Gazpacho Amarillo and Dungeness crab

Second Course:
Beets/ arugula salad with fried goat cheese and lemon pepper dressing

Third Course:
Lamb lodoso stew with fingerling potatoes

Fourth Course:
Mar`y tierra paella shrimp, mussels, clams, sausages and grilled salmorego

Cheese Course:
Smoked idiazabal mitica, gorgonzola picante mitica igor, queso Sudado Don Mariano, murica curado mitica, mitica mahon young, manchego, tipsy toast and iberico

Dessert:
Flan and homemade churros with chocolate sauce

The wines for the masses:

First flight of 3 whites:

2001 R. LOPEZ de HEREDIA TONDONIA BLANCO RESERVA RIOJA- herbal, almost Sauvignon Blanc like aromatics with a hit of lanolin and talc, apple and pear fruit served up in a creamy texture and contributing to the long lasting finish; very fine wine.

2002 R. LOPEZ de HEREDIA TONDONIA BLACN RESERVA- similar and yet different from the 01`, this had lemon lime grassy notes and a slight hint of petrol along with a similar lush and creamy texture and delayed ending.

1948 LA RIOJA ALTA RIOJA BLANCO EXTRA- not similar to the first 2; it had a golden brown color, was a bit oxidized, but not to deter from some fine attributes including aromatics of nutty caramel, tastes of peach, butterscotch and almond butter and an ultra creamy rich mouthfeel which was almost syrupy but not quite; there`s much to like here.

Second flight of 4 reds:

2004 LA RIOJA ALTA GRAN RESERVA 904 ROIJA- very fine spicy cranberry and red cherry fruit which dissipated a bit by mid palate, but still held on to please for the fruity component; again the hallmark was the so creamy texture and long finish.

2005 LA RIOJA ALTA GRAN RESERVA 904 RIOJA- 1 of 2 bottles with this one opened and poured; lots of wild red cherry notes with some dark chocolate and coffee accents; a step more complex than the 04` and another one with such wonderful mouthfeel.

2005 LA RIOJA ALTA GRAN RESERVA 904 RIOJA- decanted in advance; I got some tart red cherry at first before it moved into a sweet red cherry expression with similar chocolate and coffee notes; delicious as was the first bottle as well as being delivered in a creamy rich texture; not much difference between the 2 with a slight edge for this one.

2004 R. LOPEZ de HEREDIA TONDONIA RESERVA RIOJA- this had a totally different profile than the 3 above it and for the better; the nose had some dried red cherry notes and the taste was redolent of spicy cinnamon sweet red cherry berry fruit; it was lush and creamy with a long finish; best of the 4 wines by far especially from the tasty sensory element.
Third flight of 4 reds:

2004 HEREBAD de BAROJA GRAN RESERVA RIOJA- lots of fruity goodness here with a special slant toward talc and sandalwood laced red and black cherry/ berry notes with sweet, oaky red cherry dominating by mid palate on; wonderful soft and creamy texture and a lingering finish.

2001 FAUSTINO GRAN RESERVA RIOJA- presented in the traditional and readily identifiable frosted green glass bottle with the wire cage wrapped around it, this seemed fully mature from the darker color and more evolved fruit profile; the nose was suggestive of an Amarone, the taste had more spicy raisiny mature flavors and the viscous texture coated the palate with a significant soft and lush mouthfeel.

1994 LAN CULMEN RESERVA RIOJA- the aromatics had some veggie, bell pepper character which lasted only in the nose before being replaced by nice oak infused black cherry/ berry fruit which turned this around and made for a pleasant treat; it was medium to full bodied and stayed on the palate for a grand finale.

1991 MUGA PRADO ENEA GRAN RESERVA- this was a taste treat full of spicy sweet red cherry showing up in the nose and continuing on; nice feel and length as well; good wine.

Fourth flight of 2 reds:

1970 FRANCO ESPANOLAS ROYAL GRAN RESERVA RIOJA- one of my favs of the day, this was in perfect condition with wonderful balance and a high degree of elegance; medium bodied, it gave modest amounts of plum and cranberry fruit, had a pleasing texture and length; amazing wine.

1989 LA RIOJA ALTA GRAN RESERVA 904 RIOJA- excellent wine; spicy vanilla laced red and black fruit in nice balance with a medium to full body and a consistent sensory treat all the way through; has the structure and backbone to age for a long time with continued treasures forthcomoing.

Fifth flight of 3 reds:

2010 HNOS PEREZ PASCUAS VINA PEDROSA LA NAVILLA RIBERO del DUERO- 100% Tempranillo; a deviation from our Rioja GR 05` and older theme and brought by Monica as this and the following wines are in her portfolio; young, vibrant fresh red and black fruit forwardness that should balance out in time; it had good structure and I expect this will mature into something special down the line.

2009 HNOS PEREZ PASCUAS VINA PERDROSE GRAN RESERVA RIBERO del DUERO- 90% Tempranillo, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon; this was big and full bodied with generous amounts of fresh black cherry, black currant and a bit of dried cherry notes accentuated by vanilla, mocha, wood oak and spice; its delivered in a lush creamy texture and although very good now, theres lots more to come.

1991 VEGA SICILIA UNICO GRAN RESERVA RIBERA del DUERO- unbelievable wine with everything going for it; expansive fruit profile, finesse and power wrapped up in the same package; perfectly balanced, it gave and gave up its treasures from the nose through the tail; sweet tannins, vanilla and spicy red cherries and more; it was an absolutely fabulous, complete experience; my WOTD.

Sixth flight of 3 reds:

1981 R. LOPEZ de HEREDIA VINA BOSCONIA GRAN RESERVA RIOJA- almost on the edge of some bricking; delightful, fruity, dark cherry/ berry with a streak of wildness peaking through; it seemed this bottle was just a bit closed and perhaps has some major benefits to offer at another time; it is certainly worth a second look and bottle variation to be considered as well.

1954 R. LOPEZ de HEREDIA VINA BOSCONIA GRAN RESERVA- this bottle had an amazing still young and viable deep dark purple color; the fruit profile had some nice black currant as well as some sweet grapey notes that were delicious; it finished somewhat on the dry side; but offered enough joy for long enough to make for a good experience.

1991 R. LOPEZ de HEREDIA VINA BOSCONIA GRAN RESVERA- this was really good giving some peppermint, wild cherry berry notes which carried on through the finish; it had good texture, depth and complexity and was a fruity taste treat.

Seventh flight of 2 dessert wines:

2007 KRACHER TBA #10- 375 ml; another gift from our prince of sweets, this bottle had a mid maple brown color and a taste of apricot nectar; it was thick and creamy and sweetness on top of sweetness.

1930 OLIVARES DULCE MONASTRELLE JUMILLA- 750 ml; made from Mourvedre as we know it, this bottle had a dark brown color, serious butterscotch and maple flavors with a nutty almond overtone served up in a sticky, gooey substance that coated the palate and finished like a cream sherry; it might have been better served with a teeth scraper.

Just another day at the office for more Spanish wine explorations from young to old and back again. Frequent sharings by Monica throughout the lunch provided much welcomed education and furthered my study of wines from Spain. One of the revelations she shared had to do with the wire covering many of the bottles had. It was one of the means to protect the original bottles from being tampered with as well as to hold the cork in place. It`s considered bad luck to remove them; I had done so on a few occasions previously and will not do so in the future.

Cheers,
Blake
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG

Thanks for the good notes and photos. Just picked up the 1970 Rioja based on your experience.

Steve, I hope your bottle is as good as ours. I`m inclined to think you made a good purchase.

BTW and FYI: Monica shared with us that the 1995 Gran Reserve from R. Lopez de Heredia is the last one made and the next one will not be out until 2021 and is from 2001.

Wow, great line up.

I have had the 2004 Rioja Alta 904 and 2001 Faustino.
Both great wines, I remember the RA being somewhat better and more expensive.
Recently had 2009 Rioja Alta Alberdi in search for a cheaper bottle ($19).
It was nice but a little closed and big step down from the 904.
Rioja’s are turning out to be great lines to explore.

Joel, I agree with exploring more Riojas and am doing so. The 04 904 came from my cellar and I was a bit disappointed in its performance although it had some redeeming qualities. My though is to just give it some more time and see what materialises.

Great notes and thanks for sharing. I’m curious if she was referring to the Bosconia or the Tondonia? or both?

Her comments were: "The last Gran reserva reds release for Viña Tondonia and Viña Bosconia are 1995, current vintages releases. After the 95 following Gran reserva vintage is 2001, and will be release in 2021.

We have been out of Viña Bosconia Gran reserva 1995 now for 2 years (importer and Distributors), and Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva 1995 is the one we are selling now.
On the Viña Tondonia white Gran Reserva current release is 1996.

Remember for us Gran Reserva wines are only made on out best vintages at our vineyards, and stay 10 years barrique and 10 years bottle, before releasing them to the market."

You didn’t by chance ask her about the Rosado as well? :slight_smile:

Thanks for these Blake, as always a great pleasure to read. Appreciate the check-in on the 04 La Rioja Alta, I will try to hold off opening mine for a year or two. Some amazing older wines here and gratified to see the 91 Unico performed up to what might be expected.

Tried the 01 I Faustino a few days ago as part of WineFest IV. My brief notes:

“Quite classic, cocoa, leather, black plum. Tangy replays—it’s not a stunner, but does deliver genuine pleasure with lines, black fruit and more cocoa.”

A bientot,

Mike

The next Rosado will come out in 2018.

Hi Mike, my comment about the 04 was a bit harsh. In the lineup we had, it was not a star and against the 05s, it was something less than; still not a bad wine. In the Faustino, you got cocoa, leather and black fruit and I got “black” raisins, Amarone concentrated fruit. Close?

I’ll chime in my thanks, Blake,

Always great to read your notes (and hear about these meals).In the last 6 months, I just sourced some of the '05 Alta Gran Reserva 904 and the '04 Tondonia Reserva, so I was very pleased to read your report.

P.S. I just received an email from Maria Lopez de Heredia herself concerning a 1962 Gran Reserva that I drank last year, which I will post about in another thread. (It was not in the most pristine condition, unfortunately, but still a fascinating wine.)

I had forgotten that not long ago a had a bottle of 2004 R. LOPEZ de HEREDIA TONDONIA while dining out.
From what I remember it was similar to Rioja Alta and Il Faustino but not quite as good.
At the price point I wasn’t motivated to buy any.
Seems like you liked it better, maybe bottle or palate variation.
I have to say Il Faustino is probably the best value at around $30.

Thanks Joshua for you kind remarks. Its always good to hear from the source of the source- please let me know when you post the 62.

Thanks for TNs on some interesting wines.

Tondonia Gran Reserva Rosado will be vintage 2008 and will probably be released in 2018 - not quite ready yet…

/Ulrich

Hi Blake,

You can find the new thread here:Lopez de Heredia 1962 Tondonia Gran Reserva - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Many thanks Joshua. Great story.

The Amarone/raisin comment about the Faustino puts me right off.

…as it did for me as well Neal. And, this came from a 2001 Perhaps this bottle got cooked a bit.