TN: 2014 GD Vajra "Claret J.C."

This is technically billed as a Langhe Nebbiolo but is really an historic experiment by the crew at Vajra to recreate the style of wine written about by Thomas Jefferson in the late 18th Century: fairly light, silky and sweet like Madeira, tannic like Bordeaux and slightly effervescent. In a difficult year for Barolo, the slightly underripe nature of the grapes apparently was the trigger to finally make the wine.

It pours from the bottle a deep rose color with a beautifully rich nose of wild strawberry, cherry and raspberry. The light touch of rose petal and even a bit of tobacco doesn’t hit me until tasted, but then, even for a light wine, the tannins start gripping and I am thinking to myself - yes, this is definitely Nebbiolo. The mouthfeel is just barely effervescent (I’ve gotten more fizz out of a 2005 R-M Sunma) and the sweetness is barely perceptible (and more akin to a supermarket rose level or a commercial champagne than even a feinherb. Barely, barely, there).

Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable drinking experience. Not at all profound, but not desiring to be. The balance really is just between a good rose and a good Langhe Rosso. Rarely does a rose have the tannic bite of this wine though. Definitely chuggable (he says, 2/3 of the way through the bottle). Serve chilled on a hot summer day.

Very interesting. I really like Vajra.

Cool. Sounds like a fun wine.

I am really digging the Vajra line up. We had the 14 Nebbilo tonight. It’s just starting to open up and was really nice with some cheese and pizza.

The base Rosso is an incredible qpr as well.

cheers

Fun note and wine, Noah. Thanks for posting. Do you know if this is/will be something they continue to pursue in other vintages?

Great note. Thanks for sharing.

No idea. This was an increasingly rare Garagiste purchase. Rimmerman made it sound like a labor of love that was possible financially only because the grapes wouldn’t necessarily have made it into the real Barolo. I guess we wait for crappy vintages?

My take on this Clare wine:

Tom

I loved it, and wished I had bought a case instead of 2 bottles. I"d be even more interested however if they had made it like a kabinett, and had more perceptible levels of RS in addition to the effervescence

They have the '15 and the '16 floor-stacked up at CortiBros in Sac.
Tom