Bedrock Summer 2016 Release

Paging Mr Morgan Twain-Peterson, please pick up a white courtesy phone and share with us your July 26th release, when you have the line-up set and you have a moment. Thanks! [cheers.gif]

What was last Summer’s release?

2014 Compagni Portis Heritage Wine
2015 Alta Vista Gewurtzraminer
2012 Cuvee Karatas White Wine
2014 Old Vine Zinfandel
2014 Evangelho Heritage Wine
2014 Pagani Ranch Heritage Wine
2014 Carlisle Zinfandel
2013 Lorenzo’s Heritage Wine
2013 Weill a Way Mixed Blacks
2013 Griffin’s Lair Syrah
2013 Montecillo Cabernet

'14 Old Vine was from 2 releases ago, oui?

I was scratching my head about the Old Vine Zinfandel…

Why?

I mistakenly thought I had purchased them more recently, thus accounting for my one remaining bottle. :wink:

it was released in july but not shipped till october

And then consumed shortly thereafter…

We are getting excited for the release! This is what is tentatively looking like though, as always, things might get swapped out depending on how certain wines are showing. As usual we are trying to find a good balance between earlier drinkers, whites, Zin/Syrah/other stuff and wines that are going to be scarce (Weill, Dolinsek, Compagni Portis, Alta Vista) and those that have a little more production. “Little” more is the key word though as 2015 was a pretty rough when it came to crop size so there are less than we would like of many of the wines. The good news is what there was is of high quality and there are some wines on the release that rank among my favorite we have ever made.

2015 Old Vine Zinfandel, California
2014 Lorenzo’s Heritage Wine, Dry Creek
2015 Evangelho Heritage Wine, CoCo
2015 Dolinsek Ranch, RRV
2015 Monte Rosso Zinfandel, Sonoma Valley
2015 Esola Zinfandel, Amador County
2013 Weill Vineyard Syrah, 3 Pack
2014 Hudson or Griffin’s Lair Syrah, Carneros
2015 Cuvee Karatas or 2015 Compagni Portis

The other options that may be added or traded out would be 2015 Schmiedt Road Zinfandel (blend of Kirschenmann and Katushas’ Vineyard stylistically in line with the 2012 Kirschenmann), the 40 some-odd cases of Alta Vista Gewurtz and the fleshy and delicious 2015 Carlisle Vineyard Zinfandel.

Hope that wets the appetite. Once I get the release letter written I will get it up for you guys. We are looking at another early harvest and with our additional farming duties these days things have been a bit crazy so there has been less time to write!

Thanks Morgan. Awesome looking release.

Looks like another amazing release Morgan! Literally don’t see me passing on a single one of those.

As always, thanks for the sneak preview!

Morgan,

Looks great! Curious on the 2015 Cuvee Karatas … looks like a few vintages were skipped from last year’s release of the 2012. Was this not made in '13/'14 and we’re liable to see Karatas released earlier, or perhaps a typo? (The '12 by the way is just awesome)

As a different thought, we saw your introduction of barrels from Stockinger (ie - Staves of Waidhofen). Any chance these are being used on any other 2015s?

Thanks!

Looking forward - can’t wait to jump in.

Good questions. Regarding the Karatas- we did do a later release of the 2012 as we like the Karatas with a little age on it when we feel the Semillon starts to shine a bit more. However, the 2015 is so beautifully perfumed, and we were able to make a bit more of it (a rare 2015 exception) that we wanted to give people the option of when to consume it. We did not make the wine in 2013 and 2014 due to a few reasons but mainly just because we were not convinced of the quality.

Yes, we used Stockinger barrels on a few wines in 2015 including on most of our reds. They are beautiful barrels and worked well on all the wines but I have to say I really love them most for white at this point. Cuvee Karatas was done in them in part, along with a mixture of Sylvain white barrels (developed by Mondavi for their Fume program) and Atelier Cigare barrels (used by Dagueneau). Cheers!

Another sick release. What am I supposed to skip?

Opened a '11 Compagni Portis on the 4th of July that was still crazy good. At any rate, can’t wait for this batch!

Morgan, any plan to make more Lachryma Montis in the future?

I should just have a standing order with Morgan for the Old Vine. Unreal value.

+1,000,000 flirtysmile