TN: 2013 Domaine Georges Vernay Condrieu Les Chaillées de l'Enfer

• 2013 Domaine Georges Vernay Condrieu Les Chaillées de l’Enfer - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu (6/25/2016)
    Gorgeous nose displaying perfectly ripe yellow peach, apricot, lemon candy, orange zest, banana, a hint of coconut, rose, saline and mineral. Excellent concentration, quite airy and cotton candy like which I get from the top Condrieus, vibrant and precise palate, bright acidity, strong presence of mineral and lovely long cool finish. This is absolutely delightful. The perfect wine for a cool summer night. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

No one else does viognier at the level of Vernay. No one - full stop. What Chave is to Hermitage.

Indeed, in Condrieu, there is Vernay, and then there’s everyone else…
As much as that has become a common truism, people in the US don’t seem to be dialed into just how good the reds have become. Christine has done wonders there…
Disclaimer, I import these.

I’ll agree with this. As good as the whites are, and they are special, the reds might be the most underrated wines of the North Rhone. The basic VdP Collines Rhoadiennes was my wine of the year a few years ago. The Cote-Rotie Blonde du Seigneur is spectacular. St. Joseph is good too, but maybe a smidge expensive.

(Disclaimer, have sold the wines and visited, no stock now, so…)

I disagree with this assessment. I think Andre’ Perret’s wines and Lionel Faury’ La Berne are at least on the same level. Personally, I think they are better. But… to each his own.