TN: 1980 Sauternes

1980 Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey - Sauternes

Owned by Cordier at the time, this orphan bottle in very good condition had the vintage scrapped off the label. I had been promised that it was from 1980 and the cork confirmed this. From memory, this must be my first 1980 Sauternes I have tried. The branded cork came out in one piece. A bright golden colour that glowed in my glass. The nose was more marmalade than apricot jam, and not the worse for it. The medium bodied mouthfeel was fresh, the zingy acidity driving right the way through the light fresh peaches and apricots. Surprisingly enjoyable and perfectly mature for me.

Thanks Nicos! I’ve been wanting to get some 1980 birth year sauternes and this note only confirms that.

And loving that color by the way! A thing of beauty!

Thanks again.

Thanks for notes.
I still got some 1980 Lafaurie-Peyraguey, in 375ml format.
-Short TN, 1980 L-P (from december 2003) : Nice light color, nose of ripe bananas. In the mouth, pineapple, and bananas !
Very much alive, a light, not overtly sweet sauternes. 90pts.

-The 1988 (750ml), drunk in 2004, quite different, with browner color, and full of very sweet tropic fruits. 95+ pts.

I think I must go in the cellar, and find the last 1980 bottles, and drink up, as I don’t see them evolve further.
The food pairing, can be a dense, dark chocolate tart. (I like bananas with dark chocolate.)

Kind regards, Soren.

Agree, what a lovely color Nicos.

Thanks chaps!