TN: 2013 Chandon de Briailles Pernand-Vergelesses Ile des Vergelesses (cuvee David Z.)

Pernand-Vergelesses had a lot of hail in 2013 and Chandon de Briailles was forced to abandon its typical whole-cluster approach to fermenting its reds and, as much as I like CdB with stems, the 2013 Pernand-Vergelesses Ile des Vergelesses is an absolutely beautiful wine. The fruit is brighter, more tender and sweet than I have found in other young CdB IdV. Red fruits and earth billow out of the glass and it is mouth-filling on the palate with no lull to be found from attack to mid-palate to finish, where some lovely perfume kicks in. The texture is fine and silky and the tannins are present and gently grippy but in no way aggressive. This wine is so open and lovely and so nicely balanced that I suspect that it may drink beautifully over a span of many, many years. To my palate, this wine is a good example of why IdV is considered by some to be close to grand cru quality.

Martin, that’s hilarious. I received your email about this wine earlier today, and the first thing I thought of was I should send a message to DavidZ and suggest he try the wine. It would seriously be interesting to know what he thinks of it, and how it compares to the other CdB wines he’s had.

What? No green beans?

TTT

I agree. I had hoped to entice him to try it.