TN: 2008 Cavatappi Winery Nebbiolo Maddalena Red Willow Vineyard

• 2008 Cavatappi Winery Nebbiolo Maddalena Red Willow Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley (6/22/2016)
    Dark garnet, subdued nose. Dry with light acid and well integrated tannins. Medium fruit and body, lightly tart cherry and raspberry. Nice acid to balance the fruit. Definitely ready to drink. Enjoy. Need to buy some more if available. Super QPR. Hanging in there pretty well on night three, some earth, gravel and leather. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Where did you find this? I bought a bunch of the 1998 ten years or so, and it turned out very well. I served a bottle blindly to a bunch of Berserkers at a barbeque on Keith Levenberg’s roof circa 2008 and most people guessed a Barolo. There was a faintly sweet element that belied its New World origins, but it was really very good. I searched on line several times for more recent vintages but couldn’t find any.

John, Full Pull sold this 2008 as a closeout at $15.

You could email them, or pick your favorite WA retailer. Not sure if they make it outside the state.

Michael

I reordered after trying this one, but they are sold out. [cry.gif]

• 2008 Cavatappi Winery Nebbiolo Maddalena Red Willow Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Yakima Valley (1/5/2018)
    Dark red with some bricking, Cherry and coal tar nose. Dry with astringent tannins, reserved and austere as befits a nebbiolo, exceedingly young @ 9 years with great aging potential. Drinking now if the style is appealing, but a few more years will bring significant improvements. This has at least another 5-15 years of life. a good balance of acid, austere fruit, cherries and beef blood with chewy tannins. Not a wine for the faint of heart. On night two the austere qualities have diminished resulting in the acid giving the fruit a brightness and the tannins mellowing to give a good balance. Still abit on the young side, so no hurry to guzzle. Very Italian and old world. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes, Dennis. I wish these could be obtained back here. I was really impressed with that '98, and it sounds like the style is consistent over the long term.