TN: 2004 Andrew Will Sorella

I don’t see many posts on this producer, but this was a fantastic bottle. I’ve only had a few wines from here but they have all been great. I’m curious how others feel and where they fit stylistically in WA wines. To me, I think they are new world but clear old world styling. Blind, I probably couldn’t pick them out as new world.

• 2004 Andrew Will Sorella - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Horse Heaven Hills (6/24/2016)
    Upon opening this showed quite green and peppery, likely from the cab franc and petite verdot. But after a couple hours this pulled together quite well. Nose was quite exotic, with tobacco leaf, dark fruit, and leafy herbs. Palate with dried red and dark fruits, quite deep, with the cab franc showing through. Lengthy finish. To me this showed more like a right bank bdx than left, with polished light tannins and strong cab franc influence. Really terrific and well evolved since my last bottle 6yrs ago. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This is always a very good bottling. Sometimes folks forget that these Washington Bordeaux blends actually do need to age like Bordeaux, so 10-12 years is when they may be showing really well.

And you can put his wines in as ringers for Bordeaux. Very good wines all the time.

I’ve been looking for Sorella around me, but have never been able to find one.

The first vintage of Sorella that I had was the 2006 - I think it was 2010 when the bottle was opened. At the time, I thought it was fairly complex and tasty, so I started buying a few bottles every year. I have been rather disappointed every year since and I have come to the conclusion that this wine probably needs extended aging. We consumed a couple of bottles of 2009 just a few weeks ago - I decanted both bottles for 6 hours prior to drinking. The extra air time helped quite a bit, but the wine was very dense and just barely opening up at the end of the six hours. I have not bought since the 2011 vintage, but I wonder if I will be missing out?

Really good bottles. Delish. Old world style with a touch bit more fruit intensity. Well balanced. Yum.

My favorite WA producer by a mile. Chris’ wines age effortlessly, and yes, they need time. He’s a phenomenal blender.

I will note that I have known Chris from the very start, buying a case each of his first two wines for $20/btl. I consider him a friend, and own a couple pairs of used Wilson Audio Watt Puppy speakers that Chris lovingly broke in before moving on to even more exotic (and expensive) speakers. He is a serious audiophile.

To say he is an audiophile is putting it mildly, his passion for audio equipment surpasses his love for wine, the guy has the most insane stereo system I’ve ever seen in a house and it literally pushes you back into the sofa.

And the wines, don’t buy them if you plan on drinking soon (although the 12’ is good to go out of the gate) he opened a 95’ Merlot reserve for us that was delicious and just hitting its stride. When I think of Andrew Will, I think of the likes of Togni or Dunn.

Great winemaker and a sailers mouth to boot!

Love Andrew Will though I sometimes forget about the producer and the bottles I have in my cellar. I was just eyeing the 2012 Sorella at Total Wine yesterday, perhaps I need to go back and take some home to slumber.

It’s been years since I have had it, but I recall the 07 Champoux being really, really strong upon release, I think it has a pretty high percentage of Cabernet Franc in the cepage.

In the conversation of constantly outstanding, age worthy WA Bordeaux blends, also keep Cadence on your radar.

I love Cadence and Andrew Will…I even like Chris!
Drank a 97 Merlot at his place earlier this week…totally excellent.

The cartridge in his turntable is worth more than my car. If he turns it up to 11 and puts the speakers on the roof, he can blow the ferry back to Fauntleroy.

There are lots of wines in the Evergreen state that deserve to be better known.

Always lots of older Andrew Will wines on Winebid from $15-$35.