TN: 1999 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Abtsberg Riesling Spätlese

1999 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhäuser Abtsberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/23/2016)
A breath of fresh air in a bottle, this shows youthful citrus and leafy green aromatics over a firm bed of stone. Crisp and refreshing on the palate, with ample acidity to balance the pure, sweet fruit. Amazingly unevolved, so lots of time for this one. Perfectly suited to a pleasant summer evening.

Posted from CellarTracker

Love these 99s from Von Schubert. Excellent!

Thanks, David. I haven’t touched my 99 Spatleses, based on how glacially all my other von Schubert’s have been developing. Sounds like that was the right call, at least if your palate is like mine and you like some really evolution in your riesling.

It is actually very young, but also very good. Very little development. Tonight it had a piercing blend of lime zest and lime leaf that was gorgeous to smell.

I bought a bunch of the 2002 QbA after visiting there in 2003. Dr. von Schubert matter of factly said, “Oh, this will go 20 years.” Well, it’s still a puppy. And the 02 Spatlese was still fairly backward two years ago (notes).

I had the 2001 QbA a couple of years ago and it was a mezmerizing baby. Remember when people said 1999-2002 was a down period for the estate?

Not sure if I’m remembering correctly, but I believe the QBA is a single vineyard bottling from the vineyard next to Abstberg (Bruderberg?) Carl believes that everyone should be able to buy a bottle of wine that will age for 20 years.

I only have Qualitatswein with Abstberg on the label. Both “normal”, Trocken and Halbtrocken. This one from 1993 is as fresh and tasty as you can want. 1995 and 1996 still way too young so 20 years is a minimum champagne.gif
For a sub 10$ wine this a nobrainer
Btw I completely agree about the 1999 Spatlese.

Most but not all of the time the QbA is Bruderberg. I have some Abstberg QbA as well, but it’s not a regular occurrence.

No no no. The wines from here were no good back then…

champagne.gif