TN: 2014 Giaconda Estate Chardonnay

New release of Australia’s cult Chardonnay. There’s lots of energy, with fruit aromas more in the citrus and white stone fruit spectrum. more pure, showing less winemaking traits than the 2012, less funk. Real depth and energy, the palate resonates on a bed of minerals. Really lovely fruit expression and cool personality. Throw this in the mix with some top flight Meursaults. Should age very nicely.

This wine’s not cheap, Kent,

Especially here in the US, but sounds tempting nevertheless. (Have you had any of the Rhys Chardonnays? I wonder how they would compare.)

In any case, thanks for the note.

Agreed Josh, but more than holds it own at the price point IMO. Recall a tasting where an 96 was wine of the bracket against $400 + Grand Crus from similar vintages.
Haven’t tried the Rhys I am afraid, but have always enjoyed Kevin’s posts here and suspect the wines would be in my wheel house. We see few US wines here, but I did have some cracking Kistler Chards in the late 90s that piqued my interest.

Hi Kent
I had the 2012 Gioconda chardonnay recently. It was not tight and focussed as I would have liked. I was expecting a very energetic wine with lot of intensity and X factor. But no. Bit of a shame. May be just bottle variation? Under Screwcap. I have two more bottles of 2012 and three bottles of 2010 and I intend to try at least one from each vintage just to see how they fare.

Sanjay,
I had the '12 in a line up of some very smart Chardies and it looked a bit d leesy and funky, almost too solidsy and textural. This '14 is far more pure and holds more interest for my palate.

Hi Kent , I love this wine .
2014 is not yet available here , what do you think about the 2013 ?
thanks

Herwig,
Missed out on the 2013 I am afraid. Finished the 2014 last night and it showed more texture with air.
A wine of complexity.

Kent, what Australian chardonnays do you recommend among ones that are reasonably available in the USA? I’d like to try some more good examples. I had a 2005 Grosset Chardonnay Piccadilly a few months ago that was quite excellent (under a screwcap, so no premox or TCA, which is nice).

Chris,
Oakridge very good, esp the 864 reserve wines, seem to be available through K & L Wines.
Leeuwin of course
Howard Park, Pierro & Vasse Felix Heytesbury from the West.
Giant Steps from Yarra
Bindi from Macedon, Victoria
Kooyong range from Mornington
Some of the Penfolds reserve Chardies. Yattarna is very good but expensive, other reserve bin wines such as Reserve Bin A from Adelaide Hills and Bin 311 from Henty are VG.
Tolpuddle from Tassie.

Thanks Kent, I haven’t kept up to date with Aussie chardonnay beyond the usual suspects. That list is helpful for some exploration.