Fabulous Fevre Fourteens

Had a squiz at a few Fevre ‘14’s over the past week. Stunning wines. So clean, pure , fresh and direct with impeccable balances.

2014 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis 1er Cru Montmains: This is a vinous version of a fresh oyster liberally doused with fresh lemon juice. It is cool, fresh, rich and long. Magic stuff.

2014 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre: Mint and flint and iodine on the nose. It has great shape in the mouth with Grand Cru intensity and piercing, razor sharp spine. It is exceptionally pure and long.

2014 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Bougros: Has plenty of citrus, some white peach and loads of iodine on the nose. It is richly fruited, full and powerful but not heavy in the slightest. There’s great volume in the mouth and a clean, precise and fresh finish.

2014 Domaine William Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos: So fine and elegant yet powerful and complex. There are aromas of dried flowers, honeysuckle, citrus, oyster shell and mint. It has superb intensity and is strewn with geological matter. It has fabulous posture and a finish that is sharp and completely in focus

It would seem that 2014 is an outstanding year for Chablis.

Agree, it’s a great lineup. Thanks for the excellent notes.

Only seen a couple of '14s, and no Fevre as yet although have purchased some Montmains hand grenades. Christian Moreau Vaillons is electric FWIW…

I had the wonderful opportunity to tast through the R&V Dauvissat '14s as well as Jean Collet’s. Both outstanding, with the Dauvissats a half step ahead. Yes '14 a very good year in Chablis!

Jeremy, thanks for the excellent notes. It could be a time to stock up with 2016 a lean year presumably. I had another 2012 Fevre Les Clos the other day. IMO one of the Burgs of the vintage.

Cheers, Howard

I just bought a mixed case of Chablis 2014, including a couple of bottles of Fevre Les Lys (and some Dampt Fourchame, Brocard Vaulorent and Bessin Valmur).

I like the wines very much, but am still nervous enough to want to drink them early, and probably avoid buying the grand crus, which is a bit sad. I hope the diam corks make a difference, but will probably put most of my Chablis money toward Dauvissant until we know more.

They were fantastic at the London ep tastings in January. First time I’ve bought Chablis ep for a long time. The fevre vaudesir in particular was amazing.

I recently pulled a case of Valmur 2008 from bond. I’ve opened 3 so far and all have been knackered.

No problems with the following Fevres in a tasting on the 6th of June:

Chablis Les Preuses 2006, Fevre
Chablis Les Clos 07, Fevre
Chablis Les Preuses 07, Fevre
Chablis Les Clos 2004, Fèvre

Odd–there seems to be a difference in premox rate between the US experience and the Continent. I wonder if it will just be delayed a bit for you folks, but if not, you are lucky.

So I’ve noticed. I’ve been a reasonably regular Fevre drinker since the 2004 vintage with very few
bad experiences, and can add the Vaulorent 2007 to recent (within the the last year) positive experiences.

Bought a mixed case of 02 GC (for a great price). 5 were undrinkable.

George

Can anyone shed light on Fevre’s oak treatment for the various Grand and Premier Crus? Is there any consistent oak treatment across sites and vintages? Thanks in advance.

I’m going through a case of the 14 village level Fevre. No complaints at under $20.

+1 Great wine for the price!

Will certainly keep that in mind re the Villages

lovely notes Jeremy.

I’ve been told that there is no new oak on any of the GCs. Certainly older barrels (though I don’t know how old). I haven’t noticed any obvious oak influences on any of the GCs going back to at least 2009. Given the question, have you?

As always, alotta alliteration from Jeremy.