Bummer: 2010 Rhys Alpine Chard

My first Chardonnay from Rhys and something was definitely funky. Very little nose. Very advanced look in glass – the dreaded apple juice. Acted and looked like a poxed Burg from Sauzet.

I read a lot of notes from you Rhys aficionados but it’s rare to see comments about faulty bottles. I hope this was just an off cork, but curious if anyone has similar experience with this year or vineyard.

I had this wine queued up all week and was psyched to try it with some fresh grilled Mexican seabass. The dashed expectations and not-inexpensive price paid left a bad taste in my mouth … literally.

Thanks for any input.

Well, they do try to be European, so perhaps the Pox has crossed the Atlantic? If so, that would be very authentic. [wink.gif]

Checked CellarTracker. I’ve consumed 3 of my 4 bottles, 1 last year and 2 this year. All have been tasty. I would surmise either an off bottle or bad storage/treatment prior to you?

Thanks Dale

For the record I purchased from K&L and bottles looked sound.

I have one more that I will open soon for comparison’s sake

I have never had a pox issue with Rhys Chardonnay.

Send an email to jeff/team at rhys, and they’ll make it right usually.
2009 family farm pinot had a lot of brett issues, and they quickly replaced them.

+1

There is always a possibility of this when dealing with natural corks, just as there is always a chance of having a screw cap wine being doa with oxidation because of a cap not applied correctly ( as one if my turned out to be today via a good customer ) . . .

Luckily, these are exceptions rather than everyday occurrences, right?!?!?

Cheers.

I drank one of these this Spring. Despite the Rhys website recommending this wine for consumption in the near future, it took 60-90 minutes of air to really express itself. Sounds like an off bottle, or poor provenance depending where K&L sourced it.

Don’t believe Rhys should be responsible for wines bought second (or third) hand.
Who knows how the original owners of this wine stored this.

TTT

Fair point, Paul.

It is worth noting that I have heard directly from other board users who had similar problems with this particular wine. And they were winery direct sales. Rhys did replace those bottles apparently.

Hi Matthew,
Please shoot us an email at info@rhysvineyards.com and we’ll be happy to replace your bad bottle. Thanks.

Jeff – that’s an especially thoughtful gesture, as I didn’t buy the wine direct from you guys. I’ve sent you a note. Have a good day.

Nicely done . . .

+1 For all that we all tend to bitch about problems we have, classy act duly noted.

Rhys is definitely tops in customer service.

too fine! too fine!

Had one recently that was more advanced than I remembered as well.

A 2010 Horseshoe Chardonnay at Berserkerfest was fantastic.

I, too, had one about 2 months ago that was “off”, seemed oxidized: very dark color.

Expect an off bottle now and then