TN: 2010 Calluna CS "The Colonel's Vineyard"

Raining in DC. Tired of warm weather and warm weather wines after a weekend of searing heat, sunburn and carrying a toddler around college reunions and amusement parks, I opened this bottle, purchased at State Line.

First of all, this wine has layers: An initial whiff of mint that came back every few sips over the course of the evening; pure, almost elemental cassis; gobs of pencil shavings and graphite; some subtle tobacco and cedar; more subtle vanillin shines through. My initial thought is that what many of us would consider “modern” for Bordeaux in terms of flavor profile and oak presence is decidedly “old world” in California. This is not a lean wine, but at 14.1% it is subtle, classic and more savory than many wines I am used to, even other mountain cabs from Napa. I like the dialed down nature. It reminds me a bit of the Corison we had recently in a vertical tasting. I have a viscerally negative reaction to big, gloppy Napa Cabs, so this was a welcome surprise.

Nice note and observations. David Jeffrey is making some great juice. The Bordeaux-style blend and the Merlots are great as well.

Thanks for the note. I haven’t opened any of mine expected that it needed more time. Sounds like it’s safe to open one now to check in.

BTW, if you have any 2013 bury them deep. I opened a CVC out of curiosity and won’t open another for at least three years. Prior CVC have drank well early so this may be a sign that all the wines from 2013 are going to need a lot of time in bottle.

Noah,
Had a chance to follow the 2011 version of this wine over three days last year and was beyond impressed. And i think your description of style is on the money.
Maybe the best cab made in Sonoma right now.
Best, Jim

Maybe? I don’t think it’s even that close a race.

I was expecting the same when I tried the 2013 CVC, but it did seem pretty disjointed and in need of a lot more time. However, the 2013 Merlot was drinking beautifully with a couple of hours of air time. I won’t touch the rest of the 2013’s for at least another three years.

Good stuff. When I visited David last year I only had the '13 Aux Raynauds. (others earlier vintages). Was looking to order some more so will keep this info in mind for '13!

cheers.

Just had the 2011 Raynaud’s. Was excellent. Deeply but subtly fruited, with an herbaceousness and depth that I associate with good St. Emilion. Was surprised it wasn’t French. Really good stuff.

Just got back from a few days in Sonoma/Napa and was at Calluna on Friday. We tried the 11 and 13 estate and 13 Colonel’s( have had the 11 Colonel’s at home recently). His 11’s are excellent and some of my favorite wines of the vintage. As good as they are, he really nailed it with the 13’s.

It was great to try the 2 wines side by side and see the difference between the Cab and Estate Bdx blend. Our group loved the wines and it’s great to see where David is taking the project. Highly recommend making the trek up the hill if you get the chance.

Cheers
Fred

Have a lone '10 Estate remaining in the back of the cellar waiting for the right time. I should really reload on the latest release.

I was there the same day as Fred and need to second his words on the 2013s. These are amazing wines and the CVC is already drinking well. Obviously, I was wrong when I said it needed a lot of time as a few months was enough. But all the 2013s seem built to last as well. I did reload and glad I did as I expect that by the time I drink through the CVC, the estate will start to really shine. Note that one can drink the estate now and it’s very good so no need to wait but it just seems to hint at the greatness that will reward patience.

If you get a chance to visit do so, while the wines are great, I’m not sure there is a better setting in all of Napa and Sonoma.

OK, now I’m confused. Which one were you? I met you all at Fogline. I’ll admit i’m horrible with names but I don’t remember another Brian.

I really like these wines. Somewhat annoyed that the only option to purchase the Colonel’s is in a mixed case for $900. Can’t really afford that so had to pass.

Just read your other thread. It was just coincidental! My bad.

We weren’t with Fred. I had a different group. When we saw David at 1:30 he told me that Fred had been there that morning.

I wanted to get to Fogline but couldn’t work it in. It’s one of two places that I wasn’t able to get to that I wish I had. The other was Wind Gap which was unfortunately close on Wednesday.

Brian T- it was our group you met and unfortunatly I was the knucklehead who had to take a work call in the middle of the Fogline tasting

Brian G- David mentioned you guys were coming right behind us. What a great day to be up at the vineyard. I waited to place my fall club order and added extra. Agree on the Cuvee, wow was it good for the price and showing well. I picked up some extra as well.

Noah- you might want to ping David if your not a member of the club and see if you can join. The release is the 13 Colonel and Estate. You also get a price incentive as a club member. He may also have Magnums for sale as another option.

cheers