What Did I Buy?

At the liquor store down the street, I was getting a 2-liter Coke, when I noticed a new display of Clearance Wines. Most of the bottles were of dubious character (old, grocery whites and Italian mystery blends).

However, there were two bottles of single-vineyard Pinot Noir: 2009 Bien Nacido Vineyard.
IMG_20160528_205722134.jpg
At $4.99/btl, I grabbed one. Any experience with this label?

I’d be worried about how it was stored. Suggest you taste it quick and if good, grab the other one. If cooked, return it.

Should have grabbed 2. How bad could it be?

I don’t know this producer, but the Bien Nacido vineyard produces some very good quality Pinots. So this starts with good material. But these aren’t long-lived wines - so may be already declining.

Still, $5! Unless damaged, this will be highly respectable QPR.

Well, it’s not mourvedre or carignan, so I am not sure that you’re going to like it :slight_smile:

As others have said, a good Vineyard source and a good vintage should equal a decent wine if stored decently.

At that price, it seems worth the gamble to try at least one.

Touché, Larry! :stuck_out_tongue:

I have gotten myself into a rut, where I am drinking a lot of Carignan while I wait on my Mourvedre wines to come around (“The Big Tasting”).

I have tried to find an equivalent:

• Carignan : Mourvedre as
Beaujolais : Burgundy

• Carignan : Mourvedre as
Cotes du Rhône : CdP

Yet there are examples where the Carignan needs more age than the Mourvedre (Neyers, Three Wine Company, etc).

My recent purchases have been more diverse, however (Teutonic, Division, Borra/Markus). It’s just too easy to want to try all of a specific “type” of wine…

Should have popped it at the store and grabbed the lot if it was good. :wink:

The employees probably wouldn’t mind as long as I shared, right?

That’s the spirit!

Private label of Dennis Martin winemaker at Fetzer. It has been around for several years. He also makes a Rutherford Cab. Looks like you have a great find at that price.

Thanks, Ray! Of course, any discount bottle in a Louisiana shop carries the inherent risk of heat damage. At $5, I am happy to chance it!