TN: rieslings in the desert (01 Dönnhoff, 10 Lieser)

I brought a few bottles with me while I was hiking around in Utah. Just the low alcohol stuff, since you’ve got to stay hydrated…

• 2010 Schloss Lieser Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (5/27/2016)
    #13-11, 7% abv. From half bottle. Bottled electricity. This is an astounding bottle of riesling. The nose shows a fair touch of sponti at first, but then you also get tons of ripe but simultaneously tart yellow fruit. The palate, though… insane acidity propped up by copious fruit and fresh Thai herbs. Tart pineapple seems to play a very dominant role in this intense and thrilling bottle. Amazing sweetness to round out any potential rough edges as well. Crazy, thrilling stuff. (95 pts.)
  • 2001 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Nahe (5/20/2016)
    #17-02, 8.5% abv. From half bottle. Somewhat muted nose, but the palate is absolutely lovely. Tons of ripe yellow fruit with a gentle touch of green herbs. Light, elegant, and refreshing. Shows a touch of botrytis. Sweet, but fully balanced with racy acidity. This has that magic ethereal Dönnhoff touch. Awesome riesling. (95 pts.)

Some pictures
IMG_20160526_135047.jpg
IMG_20160525_185058.jpg
IMG_20160524_165033.jpg
IMG_20160523_195244.jpg
IMG_20160522_104130.jpg

Haven’t opened any of my 2010 Schloss Lieser as yet but did try a bottle of 2012 Auslese GK from a half bottle which was outstanding. Prompted me to buy another case to stock up.

Thomas Haag is doing some really exciting things…

Lovely scenario for a hike! I too hike a lot when doing my butterfly thing, usually have a bottle of pinot gris handy. After seeing your scenario, will have to dig into the rieslings [cheers.gif] .

The Goldkapsel Auslesen from Schloss Lieser are almost always really electric, not very botrytis-influenced if there is any botrytis at all. I think they’re also among the greatest values along the Mosel, Saar and Ruwer valleys. Over here in Germany, they are roughly the same price as the normal Auslesen from other top producers.

Steven
That is my impression too. Almost always pale - never golden. Vibrant acidity.

Fantastic pics and notes. Hope you’re having fun!

Don’t fall, and…pick up your empties. [cheers.gif]

Remember the wine drinking hiker’s rule: leave no TCA

Moab loves you!
What serving temp do you recommend, keeping in mind it is a DRY heat…?
:wink:

The climate might be dry, but the riesling sure ain’t. :wink:

I spend two months per year in Utah (Feb/Mar) and regularly spend time in Moab. Some of my favorite land on earth. (that I know yet…)
ENJOY !!

Pictures of that hike is the closest thing to physical exertion that Corey will ever experience.

Thoughts of you have been running through my mind – does that count?

I was backpacking in Needles last week - wish I’d run into you! And that Donnhoff champagne.gif

LOL.

M & M Moab in May Nothing better. Maybe with Donnhoff…