TN: 2005 Arcadian - Pinot Noir "Clos Pepe" (USA, CA, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills)

2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (3/5/2016)
– opened one hour before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind –

NOSE: cherry; touch of damp earth; expressive.

BODY: ruby color of medium-light depth; medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: smooth; intense cherry licorice flavor; high acidity; 13.7% alc. well-hidden; it’s been a bit more than six years since I’ve checked in on this wine, and it’s developing slowly, but well — not as tight as it used to be, but it still requires some coaxing at this point in time; excellent wine that will surely continue to improve in the cellar.

The 05 was my favorite vintage until the 07. The 05 was the first time I finally understood the term dumb. When we released it in the spring of 06 it was spectacular. Then by the summer it had closed down and did not return to form until early 07. This was the first year Joe bought fruit from us. He does a great job with our fruit. I am waiting to see how he does with our 14.

Brian,
This pup will outlast both of us… [cry.gif]

TTT

Stephen,

I am extremely excited to taste what Joe has done with your fruit in more recent years! Pinot and Chardonnay, both. [cheers.gif]