The Kobayashi Maru - Oh all right, we'll rewrite the rules and increase $10 to $15

As the Rabbis said, if my Bubbe had Baytzim, she would have been my Zede.

You didn’t like my under $10 wine thread and suggested that if $10 were $15, there would be so many great choices. We will therefore reprogram the simulator and move from the premium wine category, which I think is anything over $7, to the ultra premium wine category, which is something like $10 to $15. What really good wines in that category should we recommend to the Newbie? Sorry about the fact that the Carlisle Sonoma County blends are still not includable, but you can’t get those without waiting on the list for a while or having a generous friend and they are $19, IIRC.

Well there are Riesling Kabinett bottlings from Merkelbach for starters. Lovely stuff.

J. Lohr Riverstone chardonnay… one of the daily drinkers that got me started down the dark path!!!

Plenty of good CDRs in that price range for red. Any number of SBs from all over as well.

I’ll change my Riesling recommendation to Heinz Eiffel Spatlese for about $13 a bottle.

I’ll add in H3 Cabernet too. I think you can get Sebastiani Sonoma Cabernet under $15 also.

If 375ml bottles are included, put Ch. Graville-Lacoste on the list.

Lanessan

KLINKERBRICK Old Vine Zin

MARIETTA Old Vine Red

SOBON Fiddletown Zin (14.99 at one place online, usually around 18)

WENTE Morning Fog/Riva Ranch Chard
or Louis Mel S.B depending on year

Sorry, need to go up to $20 before I’ll play.

I second the Klinkerbrick suggestion.

Also 2009 Marques De Riscal Reserva.

Jax Vinyard Y3 Taureau 1000 times over

$25 is the new $20

[winner.gif]

2011 Rodano Chianti Classico.

My tasting notes: Violets burst from the glass. Sweet leather, black cherry, a little raspberry and licorice fill your mouth. Good tannic backbone. Great QPR at $15. In fact might be the best under $20 wine I’ve had. P n P, slightly cool. Drink or hold. 90 ish

+1. I’ve found the Reserva Viacosta as well in the low $20s.

Who didn’t like the old thread? Some interesting suggestions. I simply said in my experience it was hard to do esp with reds. Others thought I was wrong

And I’ll 2nd the Marietta [cheers.gif]

It’s ok Neal…Jay’s just a bit sensitive these past couple of days. Cooking all that grub for such an uncaring & ungrateful group will make even the heartiest of men break down like a cheap Ikea bookcase.

Can’t beat this. Definitely want to buy a case next time we go into SF.

Figures that the guy from LA is the lazy one.

Another perennial QPR champ is the Monsanto Chianti Reserva, can readily be found for $15-$18.

There’s usually a bunch of Rosso di Montalcinos right around $15 that are world class values- I’m fond of the rossos from Il Poggoine, Uccelliera, and Agostino Pieri.

Never been to Ikea. Who didn’t like the old thread? Just look at all the cry babies who complained that they couldn’t go up to $15. We still have one who won’t play if we do not go up to $20. You know what he can do. He can . . . [I’m trying to be nice and avoid micro-aggressive behavior so I will not say anything.]

PS - for those who are mathematically challenged, $18 is not between $10 and $15.