TN: WCC Grenache Blind

WCC GRENACHE BLIND - Fort Orange Club, Albany, NY (5/19/2016)

My Albany-area group (the Wine Collectors Club) got together to taste Grenache from around the world blind at the Fort Orange Club in Albany. Dinner began around 7:30pm and ended around 10pm. Each person brought a bottle wrapped in brown paper. Only one person knew which wine was which.

For photos and more info (including decant times), see:

http://www.finewinegeek.com/tn/2016-05-19_WCC_Grenache_FtOrange/

Starter

• 2014 Daou Vineyards Grenache Blanc - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles
    Pop and pour. Lovely floral nose. Complex flowers and fruit with a nice bite in the finish. Went well with the amazing Black Bass dish. (91 pts.)

Flight 1: 2012-2013 US & Spain
Floridian Black Bass Fillet with Chickpeas, Plum Tomatoes, Basil, Prosciutto, Lemon Oil Dressed Arugula, and Roasted Garlic Kalamata Gribiche.
One of the best dishes I’ve ever had. Every bite bursting with flavor. Did not go with the red wines, but luckily I still had some white left in my glass.

Flight 2: 2010-2011 Spain, Italy, Austalia, & US
Duck Confit with Poulet Glaces, Pan Browned Gnocchi, and Shallots.
Delicious and very wine friendly.

Flight 3: 2007, 2009 Châteauneuf-du-Pape
Pan Roasted Lamb Loin Chop with Bootleg Port-Cherry Sauce and Whipped Potato.

Flight 4: 2003-2004 Spain, Austalia, & US
Sweet Potato-Apple Galette with Cinnamon Whipped Cream.
Serious yum!

There were some very good wines here, esp. in the last 2 flights, but Grenache is just not my cup of wine.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice food pics, Ken - the duck confit & gnocchi looks like a dish that was made for Nebbiolo :wink:

Like you, I’m not a fan of Grenache.

Big fan of Grenache Blanc here. Overall I enjoyed reading your notes.

I love grenache , and collected the wave of premium old vine grenache Chateauneuf du Pape cuvees that have come out over the last 15 years or so. I’ve had all 3 of those you tasted and it was nice to see them garnering some attention. We did a wine dinner last month for one that I represent(Vieux Lazaret) , and the duck confit is a perfect pairing with grenache based wines(we used it as well as a lamb Avignonaisse)…Nebbiolo Bob?

I find the poor voting for Janasse Chaupin very interesting as I had that wine in 2014 and it was stunning