TN: Failla Syrah Estate '05...(short/boring)

Larry brought this last night to share:

1. Failla Syrah Estate/SonomaCoast (14.1%) 2005: Very dark/near black color; very intense peppery/whole-cluster intense black olive tapenade cold-climate/peppery strong blackberry/peppery/spicy/boysenberry some toasty/charred/oak very complex nose; very tart intense black olive tapenade black pepper/w-c/cold-climate strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah strong toasty/charred/oak rather complex flavor w/ ample hard tannins; very long/lingering intense peppery/c-c/w-c/black olive tapenade strong blackberry/spicy/Syrah strong charred/smokey/oak/roasted finish w/ ample hard tannins; evolving at a snail’s pace but absolutely delicious right now save for the hard tannins.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. Every time I have one of Ehren’s Estate Syrahs, I can’t help but think this is one of Calif’s greatest Syrahs…if not in the World.
    Tom

Great note. Some of my favorite CA wines as well.

I didn’t think the tannins were as hard as Tom apparently does, and I don’t exactly feel the wine is evolving at a snail’s pace. Not evolving rapidly either – I would call the pace of evolution as just right. Excellent now, likely to be even better over the next five years, maybe longer.

Tom and I agree that this is a terrific wine, that’s why I brought it up for him and the other tasters to try. Best syrah I’ve had from Failla.

Great wine. I never understood the attraction to PN when you get Syrah like that. It is one of the best but there are at least a dozen that I also love.