BR: "Slave to the Vine" by Darren Delmore

Over half-way thru it now:
Amazon:Slave/Delmore

DarrenDelmore is the national marketing guy at TablasCreekVnyd. Now that I’ve started reading this book, I realize that this is a guy I have not followed from the very start. I’ve known Darren only from his yrs working at TCV. We’ve shared many a btl & laugh over dinners. He always helps me get xtra allocations of scarce TCV wines. So…a good friend.
This book recounts how Darren, a surfing guy, fell in love w/ wine and segued from the surf into the wine biz. It’s not a profound book that will appeal to general wine geeks. But it is a very/very entertaining read. He strips bare his soul and pretty much reveals all. I started reading this book Sun night after dinner, on a lark, and couldn’t put it down until I fell into a Lagier-Meredith-induced slumber at 1:00am, 3 hrs later.
Anyway…it gives me a whole nuther take on Darren. He’s not the stuffed-shirt National marketing guy some of you may take him for, but a genuine goof-ball who happens to work for one of my favorite wineries. It gives a lot of insight into some of the personalities (like David Hirsch) in the wine biz. It’s a quick and very entertaining & funny read. One I highly recommend.
Tom

TN’s, BR’s, etc… At least it wasn’t short/boring, right?

Seriously, thanks for taking time to check it out and post about it! See you soon I hope.

Darren

Thanks for sharing, Tom!

I am running out of Wine Books (as if!) to read and, as a non-beginner, I am always on the lookout for more good reads.

I bought more copies for friends during the week

A frolicking ride, load up the bus and get ready to get it ‘Hot Boxed’

All great… until he paints me as arse in Version 2

MT

MT you’re in the clear: it’s pretty obvious that I’m the arse in these books! One of the best experiences of my life was working for Two Hands. Plenty of debauchery to report in the sequel…

Thanks for picking up more!

Finished reading Darren’s book this morning. Mostly, it recounts his grueling crush at HirschVnyd. He then moved North to finish up the crush at (more industrial scale) RogueRiverVnyds, then backtracks back to Hirsch for a cat-sitting gig. And then finishes rather abruptly as he heads off to work crush at Torbreck in OzLand. Seems like he’s leaving room for a sequel.
Not a profound read for wine geeks…but a very fun slice-of-life read from somebody in the wine biz.
Tom